Second body choice ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Second body choice ?

I would say that two identical cameras is a better option unless you feel that you desperately need the extra features of the X series. I personally have two identical bodies and this makes things so easy as I often have both in use each fitted with different lenses (changing lenses on location can, on occasions be risky). Not having to remember the differences between bodies makes working so much easier. As for buying secondhand, the reputable dealers will all be able to give you excellent service and will normally state the shutter count.
    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
      I would say that two identical cameras is a better option unless you feel that you desperately need the extra features of the X series. I personally have two identical bodies and this makes things so easy as I often have both in use each fitted with different lenses (changing lenses on location can, on occasions be risky). Not having to remember the differences between bodies makes working so much easier. As for buying secondhand, the reputable dealers will all be able to give you excellent service and will normally state the shutter count.

I agree on two identical bodies but my 1D4 is getting on a bit and finding a low shutter count version now isn't likely. Can't quite stretch the funds for two 1Dx bodies.............yet The 1Dx was bought from WEX with 23,000 actuations and a 12 month warranty.
      Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

The 1Dx was bought from WEX with 23,000 actuations and a 12 month warranty.
        Well done you.

You will find the 1Dx very similar and an improvement in all areas. Small improvements, but they all add up to a big overall improvement. Happy new camera.
        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
          Well done you.

You will find the 1Dx very similar and an improvement in all areas. Small improvements, but they all add up to a big overall improvement. Happy new camera.
          The bad news is......Parcel Force attempted delivery this morning whilst I was at work. They have left it with my neighbour but he's not in himself at the moment......It's so close but not actually in my mittens yet
          Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

The camera is now in my sweaty palms and so far................very impressed indeed. Raw files straight out of camera need a lot less work on them than the 1D mk4 .
            Will post up my findings as I progress
            Regards,

Jeff

Comment

I guess is deciding your needs. I have just sold my 1DX2 and replaced it with a R.

Some may question this move - however it meets MY needs.

- I didn't need the speed

- I did get, light weight and smaller camera
              - I go did much better picture quality
              - the ability to switch into APS-C mode to get 1.6 crop means I can use smaller lens with a 12mp picture size
              - I can use full size AP lens at the 1.6 crop
              - the 30mp memory means you dont have to get so close for pictures

Down side id the 5 frames second - offset with more picture in a burst

Choosing cameras is hard - I also have a M50 to take out on walks - now that is EXCELLENT as a cheep camera - and it gives over 8fps

Brian
              ef-r

Comment

Indeed,

There is no 'one size fits all' with cameras. It is down to finding the camera body/lens combo that meets your needs and photographic style.

When I'm not shooting commercial images or cat photos my main interest is motorsport.

This is where weather sealed bodies and lenses are very much a plus as is the speed of focusing and focus tracking.
                I'm not a spray and prey shooter so the super fast FFS not so much of a requirement.......Nice to have though, should you need it.
                Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                X