HEIC - image format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HEIC - image format

How long before this format is integrated into digital cameras?

Apple has replaced the JPEG image format with the new HEIC alternative in iOS. So what is HEIC, what is HEIF, and how will they benefit iPhone users?

Emyr

Re: HEIC - image format

Interesting and thanks for the update.
    Colin

Comment

Looks like another attempt by Apple to dictate what everyone else should do...
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I'm no technical expert but it seems to me that the problems they attribute to JPEG can be easily overcome by using a Camera

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera
        Chris

My Website

Comment

It worries me when I hear about new formats....are we going to be able to open our old photos in the future.

Start printing before its too late!
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

although completely different but I've just bought the Samsung S8 and the camera is really quite stunning
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

The reason the JPEG survives so well is that it remains more than good enough for most purposes. Even though many modern cameras deliver massive file sizes storage systems are more than keeping pace - it's perhaps data transfer technology that is the current bottleneck...
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

This new image format, HEIC, can well save storage space by adopting advanced compression technology. However, it cannot be opened and viewed directly on Andriod phones and Windows operating systems. To solve it, I searched from internet and knew a powerful converter. It is Joyoshare HEIC Converter, with which I can easily convert my HEIC images to supported output formats, JPG in particular. It seems that there is a long way to go when we can get local support from all operating systems. Hope you can enjoy all your HEIC images by using practical method.

Comment

Interesting article ,I believe the camera game is due for a big upheaval over the next few years .and whether it’s this Apple system or something else entirely to replace it is for the makers to decide ,i.e do we really need two image types RAW and J.peg ,it’s hard to tell results apart these days ,have we reached the limits of pixels or will we see the advent of 100 mp sensors within a few years ,and will it be needed or wanted . As always we will end up being the guinea pigs that’s a certainty

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                    Interesting article ,I believe the camera game is due for a big upheaval over the next few years .and whether it’s this Apple system or something else entirely to replace it is for the makers to decide ,i.e do we really need two image types RAW and J.peg ,it’s hard to tell results apart these days ,have we reached the limits of pixels or will we see the advent of 100 mp sensors within a few years ,and will it be needed or wanted . As always we will end up being the guinea pigs that’s a certainty
                    The new format Apple are pushing is a replacement for JPEG so the approach could be RAW+HEIF not RAW+JPEG. To your second point it's hard to see how you would consolidate on one format as that would mean either only using JPEG/HEIF and losing all of the data that entails, because they're both lossy compression, or RAW and having large, unprocessed images all over the web. Neither is a sensible approach IMHO.
                    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

With millions of cameras (including phones) out there taking jpegs it's going to be around for a long time yet. Not to mention that we will need new software to process HEIC. Enthusiast photographers tend to forget that Macs are greatly outnumbered in the world in general by Windows PCs.
                      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Maybe HEIC will become more common in the future. Some operating system will as well add support to it. Though at present we have to take the aid of heic to jpg pc tool to transfer heic to jpg or other format, heic will solve its limited compatibility issue soon. Anyway, have a positive attitude to it!

Comment

Any compressed format will be throwing away massive amounts of data. Shooting in Jpeg is fine until you want to undertake complex editing at which time the missing data will make a significant difference. Why are people so obsessed with small files. I shoot everything in RAW and have done so ever since I bought my first 10D. I create Jpegs for web and for pictures that I give to other people, I don't store any Jpegs. The pictures I edit are stored as PSD files. Disc space is ridiculously cheap as are memory cards. Why spend a fortune on a camera only to chuck away most of the data it produces.
                          A JPEG file can have a maximum of 16,777,216 tones a RAW file from a modern DSLR can have 2,415,919,104. Do you really want to chuck out almost 2.4 billion tones in you images, I certainly don't.

I am currently storing 251,000 images of which approx 22,000 are PSD files the rest being RAW files from my current and previous cameras. This takes up under 5 Tb of disc plus a further 5 Tb to back it up.
                          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X