MPB advertEOS magazine advert
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: No comment posts

Default Re: No comment posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny48 View Post
    So if a beginner comes on here and posts a photo which you don't think is particularly good. You would prefer to ignore it rather than make any suggestion to help.

John
    I don't think I am qualified enough to give any advisory comment & I am sure that other more experienced members will help the beginner. I wouldn't want to mislead the beginner in anyway.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Member*

Ohhhhhh don't write yourself down Nat, you are well and truly capable and ideally suited to give advice.

Advice is just that, advice...... it is not and has never been intended to be the be all and end all, it is simply another point of view often based upon experience to be taken on board or discarded, but importantly it opens up other possible avenues to improving ones image technique that the originator of the post may have neither envisaged nor thought off, and thus allows them to make judgement if the information is pertinent to their needs so that they may act upon it or learn from it to improve their skills.
    Last edited by TonyT; 03-10-2017 at 22:16.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Default No comment posts

Nat.

You’ve taken some good pics and have been around on here long enough that if you gave me any comments on any of my pics, I’d certainly take notice and consider your opinion / advice up there with anyone else’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Unfortunately there's no 'one size fits all solution'... Over at the AP forum there are basically two sections for pictures: the Appraisal Gallery & the Exhibition Gallery. Now the Appraisal Gallery pretty much fits what Brian mentions in his post when talking about having a particular section for images to be critiqued and it largely works as expected.

The other section, the Exhibition Gallery, is essentially, as Brian puts it, 'just for sharing and casual comment'. Now this sounds fine but you'd be amazed at the lengthy, and sometimes quite heated - even acrimonious, debates about what comment is 'allowed' and what is not. It can get quite tricky posting comments that amount to much more than 'nice shot' or otherwise without treading on pedantic toes. This is not to say images don't get posted in Exhibition without starting a row, plenty do and with the AP memberships remarkable ability to wander off-topic some quite interesting threads can happen but probably most images posted attract few or no comments which takes us right back to square one...

One thing to bear in mind about this forum is the sheer volume of pictures posted! I imagine if one is a really regular visitor of at least once a day it might, just, be possible to keep up with commenting on every picture but for those whose visits are somewhat less frequent even catching up on looking at every picture can be difficult let alone commenting on them.

It could be worth trying a critique cum 'help my technique' section for those images where the author definitely requires assistance but I would avoid turning the remaining sections into a zone where only bland pseudo-positive comments get made - that's best left to Facebook and the like...
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Good points Nigel.
    I'm sure I miss loads of postings because I go to 'whats new' first rather than venture into the individual forums straight away...some forums keep posts in order of first posting rather than last comment....but that's a different debate.
    Canon EOS 5D MKIII, 17-40 f4L, 24-105 f4L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 24mm f1.4L II, 50mm f1.2L, 100mm f2.8L macro, 85mm f1.8 USM
    Canon EOS 100D EF-S 10-18mm STM, EF-S18-55 IS II, EF-S 55-250 IS STM, EF-S 24mm f2.8 STM, EF 50mm f1.8 STM

brianvickersphotography.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234