No comment posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No comment posts

I've noticed a few members mention that having taken the time to post an image for which they specifically want some help they then find there are no comments despite multiple views.
    Maybe it would be an idea to have a section of the forum to make posts for analysis and practical criticism or suggestions for improvement.....so that posts are clearly identified as expecting a useful critique .....and then the remaining sections as just for sharing and casual comment.

There is a vast wealth of knowledge here and maybe it could be better channeled.

Any thoughts.
    (I couldn't find a link to the Administrators ...else I would have just sent a message)
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: No comment posts

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
    (I couldn't find a link to the Administrators ...else I would have just sent a message)
    There is a 'Contact us' button at the bottom of every forum page.

I can see advantages and disadvantages of having a separate forum area for members who want feedback on their images. I will wait to see what other members say before taking any action.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Just as a matter of interest there is no ‘Contact us’ at the bottom of the page using Tapatalk on my I Pad in either portrait or landscape mode.

Using IOS 11.0.1 and Tapatalk version 7.0.0 both of which I believe are the latest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I quite like the idea. Whilst each & every image posted can be commented upon, and most do, it would certainly aid some of us who might explicitly want some specific input or help to achieve something.
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Whilst I recognise the frustration we all feel if non-one picks up on a specific request for help that we may have, personally I think this would just lead to an over complicated forum, with me not sure whether to post my image in the 'specific' or 'general' comments section. And when I am browsing I tend to go in through 'New Posts' and therefore take no notice of which section the post is in anyway. At the end of the day, if I have something relevant to add, and the time and inclination, then I will. If not, I won't.
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

This forum has always been a friendly learning forum, with very few discouraging comments, yes constructive remarks but never anything truly discouraging. I feel very often that is the reason why no comments follow some shots, maybe they are not good enough, or just a shot that could only possibly draw negative remarks. I have two shots on that have had over 100 views with no comments & on looking at them I agree. Dave

Comment

Thanks for the comments so far.....Alex, I've seen it work on another forum where posts were made on the 'looking for improvement' forum where the originator wants specific help.....I often see helpful comments on here which are sometimes conservative because the person commenting doesn't have the mandate from the originator to comment........this extra forum would make it clear where help is solicited and where sharing for casual comments is intended.
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

No comment posts

The trouble with this is that if I was working on a landscape and I thought oooh I saw some advice on that, now where is it, I would normally go straight to the landscape section. I know it’s only one extra forum but the fact all pics are grouped in categories I think works really well and I wouldn’t want to have to page through a lot (after it’s been running a while) of various category pictures to get the bit of advice I was looking for.

Now in the interests of being constructive and not dismissive of this idea, would it be best to issue a small guidance note to say if someone wants constructive advice or any advice on a photo, they specify it in the title of the post. For example: “Help: Dover cliffs. Please advise.” Or: “please critique: Dover cliffs”

Obviously my example is that the picture is of cat called Dover Cliffs. :) :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Andy
                Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

I've often wondered what is the purpose of a forum such as this. Is it to enable us to put up photos so others can suggest possible means of improving it (in a constructive friendly way). I remember someone having a dig at a member for being critical of a photograph, my reply was that when I submit a pic, I'm hoping others will suggest ways to improve it, maybe a different crop, lifting shadows, removing overhead cables or many others. Others just want to show their photographs but to my mind, as the vast majority of us upload to Flickr in the first place, I would have thought that is the best location to just show and only put them on here for constructive criticism.

John

Comment

I don’t think additional fora are needed - all that is required is for the member posting to invite the level of feedback wanted. If someone wants critical comment then just ask for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                      I don’t think additional fora are needed - all that is required is for the member posting to invite the level of feedback wanted. If someone wants critical comment then just ask for it.
                      Plus 1 from me.
                      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I think the present set up is fine. If members wish to comment they are free to do so. I use the "no comment" to indicate to me that the picture is just not good enough to elicit any comment. If members do like a comment they can always ask specifically for advise or simply ask "which one is better" when posting more than one image.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I know this doesn't answer Brian's specific original suggestion, but in another (equally friendly) forum that I participate it, in your account details was a field: 'Open to constructive criticism of photos: yes/no'. If you answer yes then this appears in your details along with Join Date, Posts and Location (if you said no it doesn't appear). This just might help the issue of someone feeling they have something helpful to suggest but don't know how it would be taken. Of course, once people have been on here a while you get a feeling of how robust/jokey you can be...
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I think that most, if not all, posters here will take constructive criticism wilfully.

The difference, for me anyway, is that I might post a shot along with a comment of "all comments welcomed" or some-such, specifically to encourage feedback, and then get little or none. A comment of "great shot, Chris" is great for a confidence boost but I'm always looking for opinions on how I can improve a shot. It would be useful to have some kind of mechanism, whether it be a different section of the forum or other kind of marker as Alex mentions above, to be able to specifically encourage more CC.

This would allow people to actively look for where shots have been posted & critiqued, as it doesn't have to be one's own shot to be a useful exercise. As it is, I may have to wade through hundreds of posts before I find one where a shot has been critiqued and is something I can learn from.
                            Last edited by ctrollen; 02-10-2017, 08:46.
                            Chris
                            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

It was probably me that kicked this off as I was hoping for some constructive criticism and tips re filters prior to going out to have another attempt, but it appears bar the users of big stoppers and the odd polariser no one else is using them, so it will be a self generating learning curve.

But I would welcome a section where one could post the odd image like that which may or may not be of technical merit, but where people could or would know that the poster was asking for help and advice rather than just showing off their wares so to speak.

Reading some of the comments, I would point out I did ask for constructive criticism, though a lot viewed the image without reading the text, so no one commented because they were unaware I was asking for help, so that argument falls down.
                              At least with a dedicated Help / criticism forum you would be aware that image posted within are specifically asking for help.
                              Last edited by TonyT; 02-10-2017, 23:28.
                              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                              X