No comment posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No comment posts

My objective in posing this question was to find a means of identifying those posts where critique is wanted specifically......at present there is no identifier....some posts are being critiqued where the post was just for sharing and general comment whilst others having such expectations are overlooked.
    Some solutions have been suggested by members as above which would not require an additional forum.
    My view is that a specific forum could be easily monitored by our able membership and advice offered more effectively and efficiently.....but there's more than one way to skin a cat named Dover
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

In reading through the comments I find it interesting that people want their images to be to have constructive criticism so they can improve. But as I view the image in my eye, the image is is spot on, if not astounding, so how would one give constructive feedback to an image they feel is perfect to them. So to leave a comment good image, or well done is feedback that you had everything set and took it perfectly in that viewer's eye. So why not be satisfied with that comment recognizing that you captured that well?? Unless you as the photographer felt that it was not where you want it to be. If that is the case, then you need to need specific on why you feel that this image is not where you feel you need it to be.

Just my rambling thoughts

Tom

Comment

Precisely Tom...just seeing if we can make it easier to identify where criticism is welcome.
        I'm probably in a minority in suggesting a separate section be created within the forum.....I hope I don't become one of those popular minorities that win the day which is becoming a theme these last few years!
        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

On a previous forum to which I belonged, it was assumed all photographs were there for comments and criticism. They then introduced a sharing section for those who just wanted to show off their photographs. I still can’t understand why people who don’t want any constructive criticism, don’t just leave the photos on Flickr.

John

Comment

But as I view the image in my eye, the image is is spot on, if not astounding, so how would one give constructive feedback to an image they feel is perfect to them. So to leave a comment good image, or well done is feedback that you had everything set and took it perfectly in that viewer's eye. So why not be satisfied with that comment recognizing that you captured that well??
            agree Tom, I think one of the most frustrating things is seeing view's with no comments
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I agree with Toms comments, that a large majority of the shots on here are " in my eyes" perfect, mainly because some great photographers submit them. But the likes of me have IMHO improved my levels of shots only because of the help & advice given to me by the veterans on this site. So if you get cc already, why have another section?

Comment

Its just so the ones you want help with are clearly identified....I think it will generate more responses for these types of posts....the more feedback the better! That's All.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                  Its just so the ones you want help with are clearly identified....I think it will generate more responses for these types of posts....the more feedback the better! That's All.
                  I agree with this. The sheer number of shots posted means there are periods where I (and I'm sure others) just don't have time to look at them, let alone leave a comment. If a person posts a shot for which they specifically want feedback or help and it was easily identifiable they would have a better chance of getting said help.
                  Chris
                  80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

But as I view the image in my eye, the image is is spot on, if not astounding, so how would one give constructive feedback to an image they feel is perfect to them
                    In that case either do not reply or better still put you cannot fault it technically but it is a bit flat / bland as an image.

BTW never such a thing as a perfect image, all of them can be improved, I bet Leonardo da Vinci would have throught so over his Mona Lisa.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                      BTW never such a thing as a perfect image, all of them can be improved
                      Completely agree and just because a shot is in focus, doesn't automatically mean it's a 'great shot', good maybe but not great.

John
                      Last edited by Swanny48; 03-10-2017, 09:18.

Comment

Of course, we could ask Robert to set up a cc section and let it run for three months ... it would either become clearly self-sustaining or would wither and die ...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                          In that case either do not reply or better still put you cannot fault it technically but it is a bit flat / bland as an image.
                          Again I differ as we all see things differently and for those that are learning, in their eyes it is a perfect image that they enjoy viewing, so why not tell the creator. If we all believe that all images has flaws and can be improved, then only a few has that ability to pull out the flaw out of a image that takes your breath away. Also that would mean that most images would have no comments. And as Ian stated, what is worst? Your image looks great to me. Or no comments at all?

Tom

Comment

Is it possible to look at "no comment" as a default point i.e the picture does not appeal to the viewers? a good photo will certainly evoke some comment or the other, not necessarily to critque but something like "very nice, well done" etc. I will only comment if I like a picture- one which I would love to have taken- there are quite a lot of them posted here!
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                              Is it possible to look at "no comment" as a default point i.e the picture does not appeal to the viewers? a good photo will certainly evoke some comment or the other, not necessarily to critque but something like "very nice, well done" etc. I will only comment if I like a picture- one which I would love to have taken- there are quite a lot of them posted here!
                              So if a beginner comes on here and posts a photo which you don't think is particularly good. You would prefer to ignore it rather than make any suggestion to help.

John

Comment

So if a beginner comes on here and posts a photo which you don't think is particularly good. You would prefer to ignore it rather than make any suggestion to help.

John
                                You're missing the point I was trying to make, it does not matter if the picture is good, bad or downright ugly, I was trying to get comments on technique and if it was working on the subject matter involved, the image was to be honest secondary, therefore I wasn't bothered if folks liked the image, just if I was on the right track filter wise and thus was asking for help in my case.

It was all about technique in my case and looking for assistence in improving it.. as I was attempting it with trees I took a shot of a view that was pleasing to me and tried several different combinations of filters until I found one I was pleased with when examining them later.
                                In my case I was trying to boost the Autumn colours, so I naturally used trees as the subject and wanted guidance as to if I was on the right track and any advice from those that may also be using filters or suggestions to impove the image, which I was getting when folks realised what I was after.

The fact you might ask in the text can mean people look at the picture as an image in itself, think naaa, that doesn't work for me, but I wont be rude and say that so skip on past, when it is that exact comment I was after and why..

Thats one reason that I thought the extra thread would help, you could post items like does this type of lake view work better when shooting from here or when shot over here etc.. the image is secondary, the point of view and why people think the second location works better, helps the photographer develop techniques and does not clutter up the other threads with multiple images on a subject shot from different angles and opens them up to critique as requested, something that can get missed when someone simply views an image and does not read the text.

Interesting debate
                                Last edited by TonyT; 03-10-2017, 13:51.
                                Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                                X