Printing Paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing Paper

It may come as a shock to some, but I am a Canon man.

Some years ago, I had an Epson printer and decided to take advantage of less expensive third party inks and paper. I saved a fortune, but the results were mediocre and within three months, it completely gummed up the machine. An expensive mistake, so I bought a new Canon i9950 A3+ printer and in the 16 years I owned it, only used Canon ink and paper.

Now I have a Canon Pro 10S printer and continued to use all Canon consumables, but I wanted to print on matt paper, rather than my usual Pro Platinum Gloss, but my Canon Pro shop was out of stock. A friend offered me a couple of sheets of Permajet Fibre Based 285 Matt and I had a quick play using the Canon Matt paper settings. The black & white trial came out quite good, but not the colour trial ............ the colours were a bit muddy, so the Canon profile wasn't anywhere near good enough.

I decided to persevere and ordered some Permajet paper and downloaded the paper specific profile from their site and the results were quite stunning. Probably the best black & white I have ever printed for quality and the colour print was the closest I have seen to my screen. They also do specific colour profiles for individual machines, so my next step is to download their colour patch, print it and send it off to then for a specific profile and they do this free of charge for any of their papers. I am a happy bunny!

Here is the mono that I printed and the print looks better than on the screen. Slap a window mount around it and I can't wait for the judges comments.

C18I5058d by Colin Cross, on Flickr
    Colin

Re: Printing Paper

Very interesting , I pretty much only use Canon papers ect , but your knowledge is way beyond mine , Good luck with the judges .

Comment

When I first started doing some printing, on a Canon Pro 9000(2), I was recommended to use Permajet Oyster and have always stuck with it. Initially I had problems with the prints coming out very dark. I did one of Permajet's colour management courses which made little difference and then got a bespoke profile, which also made little difference. I then gave up for several months before having another go. Don't know what happened to change things but suddenly everything was fine when it came to printing, I've always used Canon inks.

One thing I would say about your photo. I don't enter competitions but up here know that judges are very hot on anything on the edge of a picture and just for something to find, they would pick up on the dark object just creeping into the shot on the right hand side of the water edge. As I said they have to find something

John

Comment

As I said they have to find something
        Fair point John, but I will use a bevelled window mount and lose that in the mounting.
        Colin

Comment

great image Colin
          I think it will also look excellent printed and mounted
          I am a fan of matt printing (with an Epson SC-P600 using Epson cold press papers) with really good results IMHO.
          Not many folks in my camera club use matt paper and the seem to steer me away from it but i have had some good results with it in comps. The surface can get marked easily so I use it selectively and i think it has to have the right image as in your case :-)
          cheers
          Dave

Comment

not done any home printing for aeons ,used to have a wall full of prints ,but SWMBO decided to go minimalist so now its mainly blank walls .love this shot Colin a real prize winner

Comment

Didn't do quite so well with the Judges Jeff. They thought it should be printed with a bit more punch ................... what do they know?
              Colin

Comment

Absolutely agree with the comment, 'What do they know'. My pet hate is photographic club competitions as it tends to end up with people following a formula in order to score well and it often leads to other very good photographers being disheartened as their pictures do not follow the currently fashionable style. My own Club has reduced the number of competitions and has changed the style of our competitions in order to encourage members. As to your picture, Colin, I wish I had taken it. You should be very proud of the end result.
                I have used Permajet paper for years on various printers and have always used their profiles, the end results have always been first class. My current printer is a Canon Pro 10S.
                Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Interesting that you use a Pro 10S and Permajet. Time to pick your brains.

So far I have only used Permajet FB Matt 285 and Canon Pro Platinum Gloss. Looking at the Permajet website, it is difficult to determine which papers would suit me or otherwise. Are there any other Permajet papers you would recommend?
                  Colin

Comment

Hi Colin. I use Oyster, Portrait Rag,Mattplus and have recently tried Titanium Lustre. In each case I have used the profile supplied by Permajet for the 10S and have had no problems. I print Portraits on Oyster or on Portrait Rag and occasionally on Mattplus. The Titanium has that metallic look and i good for fashion shots and abstract subjects. My Landscapes are on Oyster for bothe black and white and colour.
                    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

An interesting post Colin.

I have three printers, Canon ix6850 (A3), Canon 7250 (A4), and a very old Epson Stylus Photo R300, which must be getting on for 15 years old, and still going strong.

The two Canons, I use for Photo printing, albeit I don't print many, and the Epson for everyday printing.

I only use Canon ink, and paper in the Canon printers, but use 'third party' Jectec ink in the Epson, and have been doing so for over 10 years without any problems. Quite frankly, when I changed over to the Jetec ink, I could see no difference in the results compared to the original Epson results. Some of these Jetec prints are now over 10 years old, and still show no sign of degradation. I have saved a fortune by not using Epson originals.

As you know, paper profile is important. If I put Epson paper in the Canon printers, the results are inferior to when Canon Photoplus ll paper is used. Nothing wrong with Epson paper, just the profile is wrong for the Canon printers.

When I belonged to a club, a lot of competition entries were on Permajet paper. However, I gave up club membership quite a while ago, as they became more and more competition obsessed, and I realised just what subjective nonsense club competitions are. Many times, I saw the same prints entered in competitions, with different judges awarding totally different marks. They might be so called "qualified judges", but they are still human beings like the rest of us, and as such, have different preferences.
                      Last edited by Dave_S; 25-01-2018, 12:36.
                      Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X