Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5d3 under exposure

Hi,

Got a 5d3 last week and took it out for a play at the weekend. A great camera love the feel, focus system and high ISO capability. However I found that it appeared to under expose almost all of the shots by about 2/3 of a stop. Shots were taken at a local outdoor fate, overcast conditions. I was a bit disappointed at this as I didn't have this problem with my 70d. I can easily rectify by over exposing by 2/3 - but does anyone else with a 5d 3 experience this? Is there something I should alter in the camera settings?
    Any advice greatly received.

Thanks

Guy
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/123741420@N06/

Re: 5d3 under exposure

had a mk3 for a few years and loved the camera. I never had any problems and exposure was stop on. I presume this is a 2nd hand camera? did you reset the camera ? what setting are you using, have you tried other settings ? is it in all weather conditions ?
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Do you still have the 70D, if so are you able to take the same shot at the same time with both cameras to compare them.
      I have a 5D3 but any problems have generally been down to me not allowing for varied light, especially backlight.

John

Comment

I have the 1D4 which is roughly the same era of camera and I do find it also exposes slightly positive ,it's also quiet critical over using the correct white balance setting for the days shooting ,I think it's possibly how the cameras were adjusted according to thinking at the time they introduced ,once your aware of it it's easy to adjust to your own style and settings ,so not a problem .
        As a by-note a few years back I shot with Nikon and always found that you had to apply negative exposure compensation to get the files correctly exposed again a sign of the times when a lot of cameras were adjusted to Ettr as a matter of course to avoid noise in the shadow detail

Comment

it's also quiet critical over using the correct white balance setting for the days shooting
          I've always used AWB and not had a problem- if you set it can it then be adjusted later in PP, or course assuming you shoot Raw like all good togs should....starts running now LOL
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I have not had any problems with the 5D MKIII under exposing.
            I would reset to factory setting (look for clear all camera settings in the menus)just in case there is a setting that's been changed to cause this to be happening?

Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

thanks for the replies all.

Ian - yes it is a used camera, excellent condition, less than 19k shutter count 6 months warranty. The camera came already reset - but i will try again. I have only shot in the overcast conditions so will give it a go again over the next few weeks. I tend to keep the white balance on AWB and shoot RAW

Swanny - unfortunately the 70D was sold to help fund the 5D3

Jeff: thanks for the comments - I guess I need to get used to the camera - but over exposing by 2/3 stop isn't a big issue so will see how we go.

Paul: thanks - will retry resetting factory settings.

Thanks all

guy

Comment

I don't have a 5d3 but could it need a firmware update at all - I assume most of the technology nowadays has firmware - as well as the factory reset options?
                Andy
                Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Just to be sure, how are you assessing the underexposure - visually on the rear screen or according to the histogram? Visually is not a good guide as appearance can depend on both the screens brightness setting and it's age while the histogram is not screen dependent.
                  Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

El Sid & Andy thanks for the reply.

I installed the updated firmware before I took the photos. The underexposure is evident both visually and with the histogram. In Lightroom I have to increase exposure by between o.5 and 0.75 to get the exposre 'right'.

Thanks

Guy

Comment

Just a thought.....have you tried a dedicated flash.....because I believe the amount of light emitted for set exposure settings is determined by the flash unit - not the camera....if that turns out good then the camera must be under-exposing?
                      (might need to set the camera in manual for this)
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I've a 5D3 and it's not an issue I've seen. Are you shooting JPEG? What metering mode were you using?
                        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Working...
                        X