Challenge No 135 Orange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Challenge No 135 Orange

The challenge is now closed for entries. Thanks to all the usual suspects and new members alike who entered.
    I will do my best to judge the 22 entries, the highest number for four years (thanks Alex for keeping a spreadsheet!).

Watch this space!
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Firstly thank you to all who participated by entering the challenge this month; the relative high number of entries was, I suspect, in part due to a fairly wide brief…..I hope this level of entries continues in future challenges.

We have some excellent images and it’s been difficult to single out one winner.

Flowers and plants included some interesting subjects such as Alex’s Iris seeds and the less unusual Pyracantha berries by Chris, a wonderful wash of orange features in DaisyM’s Acer whilst ‘Winter is coming’ by Jennifer and John Liddle’s Marigold are crisp and detailed.
      The next most popular subject was sport and transport with a very dynamic backlit sail board by Ian/Farida and aircraft ‘flying orange’ against a solid blue sky background by Ian (Wilkie) whilst David’s ‘German Orange’ BMW on the race track introduces competition and Bhuna / Andy’s MG is presented against complimentary stonework.
      Landscapes were represented with sunrise providing the orange hue in Carol’s very peaceful image of Bamburgh Castle and Carl’s brilliant Sunrise over LA and magnificent Port Alfred sunrise by TonyM198.
      I didn’t expect to find a Kingfisher here but he superbly meets the brief as presented by TonyT. Rust provides the colour in Boatyard decay by Darren whilst John’s ‘Sweets, Satsumas and Satire’ introduce topicality and in a similar vein iLeafy themes his image ‘Happy Halloween’. Tom’s submission ‘Pumpkin Orange’ is a fine composition. Chinese lanterns by Barabara is full of rich colour and ‘depth of colour’ (my wife’s favourite) by Birdie / Andrew is very well thought out - these two narrowly missed selection in the top three.

The top three images shortlisted were Richards ‘Autumn’, Deer Sunrise by GlennB and Hurricane Sun by Jackie Tebb.
      Deer Sunrise is a well composed image with the morning sun’s rays and framing provided by surrounding woodland; Jackie’s Hurricane Sun is both impacting and topical as a record of a very rare event (and a first forum post by Jackie) whilst Richard’s Autumn I find as a very impacting, creative and artful image.
      I kept coming back to all three of these but there has to be just one winner ……… so after much deliberation the winner of this challenge is Richard Anderson for his image ‘Autumn’
      …so congratulations Richard and I look forward to you setting the next challenge.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Excellent composition and a well and thorough write up Brian, well done to you . A congratulations to the top three and especially to Richard on the win.

Tom

Comment

Congratulations Richard, and thank you for running this Brian!
          www.flickr.com/photos/ileafy/
          www.instagram.com/leafydragonphotography/

Comment

As Mr Grace would say "You've all done very well!" - but especially Richard for his winning image and Brian for setting and judging a challenge that got more people having a go.
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Well done to all entrants providing a lovely varied set of "Orange". A special well done to Richard for his excellent winning entry and thanks to Brian for setting a great challenge and hooking in a few new entrants.

Looking forward to see what Richard sets for us next...
              Chris
              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Congratulations to Richard for being the worthy winner and many thanks to Brian for testing us with such an interesting subject.

Cheers,
                John

Comment

Well done Richard great composition looking forward to your challenge, let’s hope you get as many entries.

Comment

Congratulations to Richard on a very fine image, also to Glenn and Jackie for making the podium on this big entry.

Many thanks to Brian for organising and judging, you deserve a rest after all the hard work!
                    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Well done to Richard, Glenn and Jackie. Many thanks to Brian for organising this challenge and for doing the honours as judge. Regards, Tony

Comment

Thanks Brian for a great Challenge that clearly captured people's interest, and resulted in some excellent images. So well done to the top 3 for standing out and particularly Richard for a great artistic winning image. Looking forward to the next one, and hope that everyone who entered this one has another go.
                        Canon EOS 7D
                        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Many thanks Brian for running this and well done Richard for winning!
                          Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Well done to everyone who entered and congratulations to Richard for his winning entry. Thanks to Brian for organising and judging.
                            Canon 70D; Canon 500D; Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM C; Sigma 18-300mm f3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM C; Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM; Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM; Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS; Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS; Canon Speedlite 430EXII; Yongnuo YN14EX Macro Ring Lite; Canon Powershot SX40HS

Ian

Comment

Many thanks Brian indeed! I was not expecting that and have been absent with other pressing business. Congratulations to all of the others and to Brian for a very vibrant competition. I will come back with the next competition shortly.

All the very best

Richard
                              Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Great to see so many entries, well done on the judging Brian - not an easy task for sure.

.DAVID.
                                Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                                X