SD card problem on 5D3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SD card problem on 5D3

I've just had a strange problem occur on a SD card used in my 5D3 and I'd be interested if anyone else has seen this

The 5D3 is set up to store Raw on the CF card and JPEG on the SD card. To transfer the JPEG files to the backup drive I always put the card into a PC or laptop and do the copying from there. Tonight it was a WIN10 laptop

I was doing this backup of the JPEGs this evening, all were copied and a large number deleted (not all as it's a 32GB card and has more than enough space). As far as I know it completed normally and I put the card back into the camera. However this time the drive light on the camera was red for a long time and when it finished it reported that there were no images to display when you tried to look at them. Put the card back into the laptop and all files were shown and could be opened normally.

Put the card back into the camera and took a pic, worked normally and showed the pic but it was the only pic that could be displayed! As all the files on the card had been backed up anyway I reformatted it, the menu announced that the card was half full so it knew there was data on it although it said there were no images to display.

Anyway the cards now reformatted and I am going to get a another one just in case. The card seemed to be working ok in the laptop and it was working ok in the camera as that had no problem in accessing it and reformatting it; all I can imagine is that putting the card into the laptop did something to the JPEG file to render it unreadable by the camera.

If anyone else has had this issue or can shed any light I'd be interested to hear.

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Re: SD card problem on 5D3

Is the card was one you used in the past?
    or is it a new one?
    in the states we been encountering counterfeit memory cards.
    that dose some of the things you described. mostly bought from amazon and eBay.

joe
    ti1 70D 5Dmk3 10-22 ef-s 50mm1.8 mk1 70-200 4 is l 400 5.6l 100mm macro is l 18-135 stm ef-s
    1.4 tele mk3 now the 85 1.8 ef lens 16-35 4 is l 50 1.4 canon

Comment

Joe,
      It was a genuine scandisk SD, bought from a reputable high st retailer at the same time that I bought the camera. I've now bought a like for like replacement from the same shop and we will see how that behaves. I'll also try leaving the card in the camera and doing the transfers from there. I'm on a canon training course tomorrow so I'll see what they say.
      Ian

Comment

Strange behaviour. Seem to recall transfer rates direct from camera are quite slow.

Use the SD card in my 5D3 to record same RAW file that's written to CF. Always take out CF and use card reader to transfer images.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

The transfer rates are slower, which is why I have always put the SD card into the PC (a win7 one until it recently failed). Once I've ensured that the files are copied next time I'll try the transfer using the iMac instead.

The other option of course is that there is an intermittent fault inside the camera stopping it reading the files. Would this show up as a failure to show pics? Not sure if the screen takes its display from the CF or the SD. Or Neither. Any one know?
          Ian

Comment

Did you delete the files in camera or via the PC while it was in the card reader? As I understand it the file structure hierarchy as used by the camera is quite 'tight' in that it expects files to be named, numbered and located as prescribed by the file structure. It's possible that if you deleted files using the PC the camera is still looking for them, when it can't find them and is assuming that they have all gone. I suspect the format command is rather more simple and is checking for blocks that have data recorded regardless of the file structure which is why it knows how much space is occupied.

I have accidentally confused my compact on occasion by looking at the images in Bridge which then wrote files to the card and stopped the camera seeing them... Luckily all I had to do was delete the Bridge files and the camera was happy again. I've also found that rotating an image outside the camera can confuse it when the card is put back.
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I agree in that I think that the cause was that the card was written to while it was in the PC resulting in the card becoming unreadable by the camera. Something to bear in mind for the future.
              Ian

Comment

I generally do a low level format on my SD card after putting back in camera.
                Give that a go as it should sort things if card ok.
                Andy

Comment

Working...
                X