Canon EOS M6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon EOS M6

I have been looking for a smaller camera for those days when taking a full frame DSLR isn’t necessary/practical. I liked the idea of a mirrorless camera so I cleared out my old kit and purchased the Canon M6. Last week it was cheaper to get the camera with the kit lens than just the body, but see prices have now changed which I assume is due to supplies arriving in greater numbers. However, the 15-45mm kit lens is very capable and my initial photographs have been sharp and well-focused. I still feel it is a pity that Canon don’t fit metal mounts on all their lenses though.

The camera is very well equipped with the ability to satisfy both a novice and experienced photographer, but I would recommend downloading the manual from the Canon website. There are plenty of adjustment that can be made and the layout will be familiar to Canon users so doesn’t take long to navigate through the automated settings.

I had wondered if not having a viewfinder would be an issue but I haven’t found it to be yet, but accept it is early days. However, in my opinion, the benefit of the smaller size outweighs this and there is always the option to buy the separate viewfinder. With the 22mm pancake lens fitted the camera fits into my coat pocket so is more likely to be with me more frequently.

Overall I am very pleased with it and the standard of the images is impressive. Would certainly recommend it to anyone thinking of going mirrorless.

Also, very impressed with the WEX PartX process which enabled me to convert my old kit into a very capable little camera.

A couple of sample images attached.

Blenheim Palace

Benji
    Andrew

Re: Canon EOS M6

A very capable camera indeed by your images...super dog shot
    ....it can be quite liberating to have a smaller camera and to use the LCD rather than viewfinder....enjoy!
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Brian, I am sure I will enjoy it!

Should have added that Vanbrugh's Grand Bridge was taken with the kit lens; 1/125 F8 ISO 100 at 45mm. Tends to be the place to go with new gear to see how detailed the stone comes out, I was impressed.

Benji was taken at quarter past four in the woods on an October afternoon with the 22mm Pancake lens 1/100 F2.8 ISO 1600.

Andrew
      Andrew

Comment

2 nice shots Andrew. I can see the benefit of having a lighter camera and not having to lump a backpack loaded with gear, although as much as I said I would never praise a phone camera the new Samsung S8 is a stunning camera
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Good advert for the camera , nice pics .

Comment

Nice pics. Do you need an adapter to take your pancake lens or are the fittings universal?
            “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
            http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

My next purchase will be a M series ,just not sure on model yet ,want one for macro in the summer

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                My next purchase will be a M series ,just not sure on model yet ,want one for macro in the summer
                Based upon my experience with an M, M3, and now M5, I would recommend the M5 for macro, giving you the option of a built in finder as well as the rear screen. Not the cheapest option, but the one least likely to cause frustration in use.
                Quentin

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                  Based upon my experience with an M, M3, and now M5, I would recommend the M5 for macro, giving you the option of a built in finder as well as the rear screen. Not the cheapest option, but the one least likely to cause frustration in use.
                  Quentin
                  I would echo that - and I would counsel that you use manual focussing with focus peaking display for macro - you will then be able to see exactly which bit(s) are in focus - even the smallest autofocus point you can set is more of an area than a point and I suspect that you could end up with a lot of bum shots using autofocus.
                  John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I always wonder why people are keen on mirrorless for macro as I've never seen what the advantage is over a DSLR. Is there really any difference between using my 200D in live view and the M5/6 as they all have the same sensor, DIGIC 7 processor and dual pixel a/f system? The 200D is slightly cheaper than the M6, quite a lot cheaper than the M5 and about the same weight as the M5. Plus of course it can also be used as a normal DSLR and EF/EFS lenses fit without an adapter.
                    Am I missing something?
                    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Richard W
                      My simple answer is 'bulk'. I haven't used the newish 200D but did use a 100D, and prefer the M5 for its compact size and bulk. (I also have a 7D2, and a range of EF lenses, including L series, but use the lenses on the Ms that were designed for it, the M series lenses.)
                      Horses for courses.
                      Quentin

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                        Am I missing something?
                        The focusing system on the M5.

Comment

The m5 also has built in image stabilisation in body ,a first for canon ,a friend uses his with a non i.s 400 f5.6 with super results

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                            The m5 also has built in image stabilisation in body ,a first for canon ,a friend uses his with a non i.s 400 f5.6 with super results
                            You forgot to mention that the 5-axis in-camera stabilisation of the EOS M5 is only effective when shooting movies. The built-in stabilisation is digital – not a moving sensor as in some makes.
                            Robert
                            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

That’s good to know Robert ,I was under the impression it was full time

Comment

Working...
                              X