Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help - "Holidays" partial B&W advice required.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please help - "Holidays" partial B&W advice required.

Sorry, late to this, Andy.
    For me, if you want it to stand out from the crowd I would definitely go with no 3. No 2 is a decent halfway house, but in my eyes doesn't have the impact; my first thought is 'why is the sand grey?' whereas the third is much more obviously an artistic vision. Furthermore, again for me, colour popping is about picking out a single element in an image not simply leaving a single colour wherever it happens to be. And anyone who has tried something similar will appreciate that more effort and skill has gone into it.
    Will be interested in seeing the 'single parasol and lounger' option but think I'd still stick with 3.
    Oh, and by the way, there is still a topless lady in there...
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Also a bit late to discussion, overall I think No3 is one I prefer. Nothing wrong with original shot but in terms of a photo comp might just be looked at as a holiday photo. The colour pop makes it different and No2 would probably be to subtle for a lot of people.

Some of the suggestions in the thread seem quite reasonable and it would be interesting to see if they work.
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Another vote for #3 from me, stands out well, a much better attention grabber

Regards Paul

Comment

Interesting stuff! I think in this instance I'd also go for #3, although I can see what you were trying to do with #2. For me, the issue is the sky being as blue as the parasols, so there's too much blue left for me.

Another option might be to drop the opacity of the B&W layer in #3 so that some of the blue sky comes through although mostly desaturated, if that makes sense.
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Working...
          X