EOS 77D. No grip available.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 77D. No grip available.

I have just purchased an EOS 77D body and discovered to my amazement that there is no battery grip available for this camera. The 77D is advertised as a "prosumer" or "enthusiast" camera and I find it hard to believe that there is no grip for it, but grips are readily available for cheaper "beginners" models. I am sure I am not the only Canon user with large hands and have always added grips to my previous EOS cameras to improve handling. I have contacted Canon customer services and was told that there is no grip available for the 77D and there are no plans to introduce one in the future. Poor show Canon!

Re: EOS 77D. No grip available.

what you on about ,just had a look on the bay of E and there are loads available for it ,o.k all Chinese brands but from £30 upwards its a no brainer .and probably one of the reasons canon would find it uneconomical to produce one .
    I have always used cheapo e.bay ones on all my 1.6 crop canon cameras and never had a problem

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I have seen the grips you refer to and I dare say they would help with handling if you don't mind having the wired connection flapping around. What my main complaint was, is the fact that Canon have not seen fit to provide an OEM grip for what is described as a "prosumer" camera.

Comment

Hmmm I,m not exactly sure what that wired connector does ,is it to power the horizontal mode bottom button ? If so In normal mode it’s not needed .. if the Chinese have added the connector as a work round it would go some way towards explaining canons reluctance to bring one out .the answer is either carry on with this body or change to a more advanced one

Comment

It looks like the wired connection plugs into the remote release socket on the side of the body. I suspect that this in turn powers the shutter button on the grip. This in turn means the rubber trap door covering the remote socket and microphone socket is left flapping around and liable to damage. If I did buy this grip I probably wouldn't use the wired connection but it might still be worthwhile for the improved handling and extra shooting capacity with two batteries.

Comment

iPso facto ,problem solved welcome to the helpful forum

Comment

I find it strange that Canon have produced a camera with the ability to take a grip, but have no intention in producing a grip. Obviously they feel there's no money in it. or the intended market have no interest in adding a grip. Having said that, more people might be interested if the price was more realistic.
              John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

One problem is that the turnover of models is so fast which means each is only on sale for a short time and I suspect that the percentage of buyers wanting a grip is pretty small, the trend is for people to want lighter stuff.

One also wonders why they can't make a grip that fits a number of models, as with the batteries, each body is pretty similar in size and shape. I don't know if any model using the LP-E17 battery can be fitted with a grip??
                EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I have now purchased a Chinese grip from Amazon. As I suspected,it is fairly basic. It fits like any other battery grip by removing the battery cover (storage is provided in the grip) and inserting it in place of the battery. It is secured in the tripod socket as usual. The shutter button is the only control provided. There is a short cable provided which connects a socket on the front of the grip to the remote socket on the side of the camera. A half pressure on the grip shutter button initiates focusing as normal. The only problem I can see is that the remote socket/microphone socket cover is prone to damage when the cable is in use. All in all the grip seems good value at £25.99 and certainly improves handling if like me you have big hands.

Comment

Working...
                  X