GPS and digital compass in Eos DSLRs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS and digital compass in Eos DSLRs

For the last two years, I've been using a 7D MkII and have made good use of its built-in GPS and digital compass. It's the only Canon I have with GPS - I'm now wondering what is on offer with the Eos 5D MkIV, or other full frame body. Does the GPS enabled 5D MkIV have a compass? I have a suspicion that it doesn't, and for my uses, technical landscape photography, that will be a loss. (I use GeoSetter for viewing my images, and GeoSetter displays shooting location, angle of view, and shooting direction when this is included in the EXIF data.)

I made the mistake of buying a GPS enabled compact only to discover that it didn't have a compass, and was awfully slow to acquire its satellites - I don't want to spend £0000s on the latest Eos 5D and then discover that it's been compromised....

Many thanks for any info
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

Re: GPS and digital compass in Eos DSLRs

According to Canon website no compass.Dave

Comment

Dave, thanks for your reply.

It's good that the 7D MkII does more than what I need in many respects, but a full-frame sensor would be a bonus.
      M Stewart
      Milton Keynes, UK

Comment

The 5D Mk4 (and for that matter the 6D Mk2) include GPS, but no digital compass. Neither of them support the GP-E2 either, which is a bit annoying since I have a GP-E2, which I can use with my 6D Mk1 (in place of its internal GPS) to have both GPS and a digital compass.
        Jennifer

Photos on Flickr

Comment

Morning Jennifer,
          Thanks for the extra information about the GP-E2. I don't have one nor a 6D, but that's worth knowing should I decide to go down the 6D route for my next full-frame body.
          M Stewart
          Milton Keynes, UK

Comment

Working...
          X