Adobe changes for Photographers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adobe changes for Photographers

I picked up on this as a news article on my Google now feed. There's a kind of summary here http://www.techradar.com/news/lightr...a-major-update but one of the key points is that LR 6 looks to be the last version Adobe will sell as a standalone product and there will be no updates to it after the end of this year. So aside from PSE, it's cloud or nothing. The Adobe site for this is here: http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/pho...lightroom.html

One interesting addition is that the new Cloud version of LR will be able to share edits between Windows, OSX, Android and iOS apps so you can apparently, pending download/upload speeds of course, start editing on a Mac and end up an iPad. It's even a new application, if I read it correctly, which is much lighter and more responsive than LR had become, so it may even be enough to tempt me back into the Adobe fold, particularly if I can still use stuff like Luminar or Affinity (on the iPad) as a plugin.

Plans start at £9.98 for the Lightroom CC plan which includes 1TB of storage, unless I miss my guess. Which will no doubt be enough for a lot of people to get both editing and offline storage.

Interesting times...
    Last edited by AndyMulhearn; 18-10-2017, 14:40. Reason: Adding link to the Adobe site for this product
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Re: Adobe changes for Photographers

I guess they have had lots of sign ups and the cost factor to them has to be significant, users will not see £10 a month as a significant outlay considering it is always up to date, has Photoshop with it and in the long run Adobe will earn more from it, it is after all the gift that keeps on giving, that and the production costs will drop through the floor, no more boxes, packaging, manuals, discs and distribution costs to incur.

You also no longer have to keep releasing later versions to drive business, the only reason you bring out LR6 is so those owning LR5 will pay to upgrade as there will be no more upgrades for LR5, otherwise you could probably do it all on software updates, but they won't earn from that, so you are forced into releasing new versions of what is basically an update... doing it all online means they can simply get rid of all of that.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Well not impressed so far, trying to migrate catalogue. First issue needs 1.4 TB of disk space to copy the images before uploading to the cloud. That was fairly easy to sort as its possible to change where this temp storage is. Then still can't be done as it need more than 150 GB of space on OS drive to store previews and catalog info!!!
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Might be worth looking at the “Lightroom Queen” website, where it’s suggested it might be better to wait a little while.

John

Comment

Lightroom Classic, sounds like a product of limited life.

Can't understand why a cloud based version needs 150 GB of local storage for the catalogue with no option to change where it's stored too. Massively more space than existing catalogue.
          Was interested to see if it's possible to have catalogue/library presented in a granular fashion.
          1TB of cloud storage, not a lot. I don't think I'm that a prolific photographer and my image storage is currently 1.4TB.

Interface feels a bit simplistic
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Hmmmm..... Does this mean they are doing away with my current Creative Cloud Photography plan (with 20GB storage for £8.57 a month ) , i know it was going up at the next renewal in January (to £10 a month i think) but when i downloaded the updates it has come up with 'Your Storage is Full , Upgrade" , had a look at the upgrade and it's £15 a month for the 1TB storage option , now i was perfectly happy with my own local storage and certainly won't be paying an extra Fiver for something i don't want , why can't they just leave things alone !!!!
            Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Comment

There are now two options.
              1) Lightroom CC, which is the one you’ve described
              2) Lightroom Classic, which is basically the Lightroom you’ve been using
              The telephone lines around my way are so poor that Broadband via telephone line is a non starter. So I won’t be uploading my photos to the cloud, I will use the classic version.

John

Comment

So uploading to the cloud is only a back up option in effect unless you want to risk it as your main storage and if you do and you cancel your subscription then adios to your images?

e. Edit in full-resolution and have both your photos and edits backed up to the cloud.
                They have Gordon

Lightroom CC plan
                Includes the all-new Lightroom CC and 1TB of cloud storage.
                £9.98/mo. incl. VAT.
                Buy now ›

Photography Plan
                Includes the all-new Lightroom CC, 20GB of cloud storage, Lightroom Classic CC, and Photoshop CC.
                £9.98/mo. incl. VAT.
                Learn more › | Buy now ›

Photography plan
                with 1TB cloud storage
                Includes the all-new Lightroom CC, 1TB of cloud storage, Lightroom Classic CC, and Photoshop CC.
                £19.97/mo. incl. VAT.
                Learn more › | Buy now ›
                So you can lose Photoshop but get (1TB) more cloud space or retain photoshop and keep your existing space, Which I never use anyway.
                Last edited by TonyT; 19-10-2017, 16:32.
                Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks Tony, I hadn’t noticed there was a ‘Lightroom only’ option.

John

Comment

Cheers for clarifying that Tony , thought i was going to have to start looking elsewhere for new software . It didn't fully explain that on the page that came up for my upgrade . I'll stick with what i've got for a Tenner !
                    Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Comment

It's on the bottom of this page

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom lets professional photographers and photo enthusiasts make amazing photos from anywhere through photo editing and organising.

So it looks like we will get the new version as well as the old Colin

See

Get the Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan, including Adobe Photoshop and Photoshop Lightroom, to get the photo editing software and mobile apps you need.
                      Last edited by TonyT; 19-10-2017, 20:00.

Comment

So this is something of a revelation for me. I wasn't interested in the desktop schemes but the mobile offering is much more interesting. It's more like normal Apple style so you only get hit with a charge for the month, not for a whole year, and the cost per month on iOS is £4.99 for the Lightroom Mobile CC and 100GB of cloud storage.

So what's it like? Brilliant is the only word I can use. I'm running it on a 10.5" iPad Pro and using the Pencil with it and it's quick, slick and familiar from my experience with LR 5 and ACR which I use with PhotoShop. It also has it's own RAW processor built in which doesn't rely on the Apple one on iOS. So it can interpret Fuji Compressed Raw files, which I can't yet to on High Sierra (come on Apple, sort it out).

So far I've not found anything I don't like about it and won't be taking laptops on holiday in future. The only thing I've not worked out how to do properly yet is to forced it to store all files locally as well as syncing them to the cloud. It means you need to download the RAW version before export. Aside from that, it really is much nicer.
                        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I updated a few days ago ,just Lightroom classic and ps ,finding it a lot faster 367 RAW files this afternoon loaded up in a couple of minutes ,processing seems a lot faster and more accurate to ,even the clone tool which could at times be iffy was more accurate .very pleased so far

Comment

I updated to LR classic yesterday, so not used it much yet but everything seems ok, seems a bit quicker than before. Was pleased to see the Nik software suite automatically migrated to the new LR, as did my trial version of Aurora.

John

Comment

So update mine and now have 2 versions of Lightroom and also Photoshop 2017 and 2018, also various other stuff including a build you own website type thing, though I haven't had time to play with any of them yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X