How young is everyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How young is everyone?

EOS Magazine Forum is probably the most active EOS forum outside of Facebook. I am wondering how young everyone is.
    1901-1924
    0%
    1925-1942
    9.30%
    1943-1960
    67.44%
    1961-1979
    20.93%
    1980-1998
    2.33%
    1999-2017
    0%
    Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

Re: How young is everyone?

As the first to vote, I am being told 100% of members are in my age bracket. LOL

Comment

That’s two of us and you’re still in the 100% bracket.

John

Comment

In the 100 % to

Comment

I'm feeling young now!
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I have to admit that since first seeing this and voting ,I am now a tad suspicious as to why this info is needed and what its going to be used for .as its posted on multiple forums .doubts have already been raised by this same post on talk photography !!!!

Comment

I am an intelligent, very handsome, lean 'n mean machine ................ until I look in the mirror!
              Colin

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                I have to admit that since first seeing this and voting ,I am now a tad suspicious as to why this info is needed and what its going to be used for .as its posted on multiple forums .doubts have already been raised by this same post on talk photography !!!!
                I was listening to a youtube video about the camera industry's sales performance for 2016.

Smartphone, point & shoot, mirrorless and DSLR users age was brought up. I am trying to verify if what he said rang true.

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                  agree ..

why not ask on FB people are happy to share anything there
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

.....at at recent seminar on the General Data Protection Regulations you have the 'right to be forgotten' and to ask what its to be used for and to see the records.....beware those holding this data after the regulation comes into force on 25th May.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                      agree ..

why not ask on FB people are happy to share anything there
                      The poll would skew towards owners of smartphones and not dedicated still cameras.

This forum mostly makes up of people with a mirrorless or DSLR with more than 1 lens.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                        .....at at recent seminar on the General Data Protection Regulations you have the 'right to be forgotten' and to ask what its to be used for and to see the records.....beware those holding this data after the regulation comes into force on 25th May.
                        Your question makes me feel so official. ;)

As I pointed out earlier the information is being asked to corroborate a statement made in this youtube video about the camera industry's sales performance for 2016.

The choices provided was designed to be not identifiable on a per user basis. Neither the birth day, birth month or birth year was asked.

Comment

Thats fine...no worries....I'll be watching this thread as I'd like to know too...it may be a question of which way the compact market has switched...did they go to phone, CSC or dSLR
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Based on the video, what I've experienced in real life and what the pundits have said are that compact market was killed off by the smartphone.

It's difficult to compete with a "camera" that removed the inconvenience of memory cards, memory card readers, a computer, learning Photoshop and a wired Internet connection at the same or similar price point.

So what the camera brands are doing is offer compacts with higher image quality or more flexible focal length range than what a smartphone can do.

Samsung Panasonic and Nikon tried to combine Android into a mirrorless and compact but these largely were one offs.

I am sure within the last 5 years compact owners may have bought a mirrorless or DSLR with less than 2 lenses and have stuck to it until now. Only bringing them out during occasions. They would largely depend on their smartphone that they get new every carrier contract on a 12/24/36 month cycle.

I was looking over Canon's compact series and it has dwindled a bit. Gone are the following and the last year they were updated.

A Series in 2012
                            D Series in 2014
                            S Series in 2014

The ELPH series has not updated since January 2016 and this product line renews on a 11-12 month cycle since 2012. This product line may not be updated anymore and be allowed to discontinued.

What remains now are the following high end comapcts that compete on image quality

G Series increased in image sensor size to APS-C within this week in October 2017.
                            SX Series maintains its large focal length zoom range of 24–960mm and was last updated in April 2017.

Both G & SX Series have WiFi, NFC and Bluetooth for easy connectivity to iPhone and Android through a Canon app.

I think this trend will also follow with mirrorless and DSLRs. Only working photogs will be upgrading to the latest and greatest to stay competitive so long as they can budget for it.

Which brings us to the question of age. I think user comfort level and affordability are reasons why non-working photogs would go with a mirrorless or DSLR over a smartphone or high end compact.
                            Last edited by dolina; 20-10-2017, 09:58.

Comment

I still have a six pack......... it's in the fridge as my doctor advises against drinking it...

The problem with a phone is it might zoom to XYZ but it tends to be a digital zoom where quality drops of significantly, the only way to stop that is to use a lens and sticking a large lens on a phone makes it impractical size wise. additionally as the MP size goes up, so does the memory needed to store the images so you then need to add a memory card to them.

Though phone cameras do have their uses, they bring thousands into digital photography that might not have considered it before who may go onto a standalone camera system, also for items such as crime recording etc.

I use mine at work to photograph hard to see items on aircraft engines, so i can zoom and look at problems etc, It also comes in handy for sending the image to others so they can also see the problem.
                              Last edited by TonyT; 20-10-2017, 09:31.
                              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                              X