How young is everyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How young is everyone?

You have a point Tony and I think that's why Canon decided to only maintain the super zoom SX Series and large image sensored G Series as the remaining compacts.

The latest SX offers a zoom of 24–960mm and the G Series is now APS-C for superior image quality and ISO sensitivity
    Last edited by dolina; 20-10-2017, 10:11.
    Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

Comment

The new G1X Mark III is available for pre-order here for £1,149 which is an awful lot for a non-interchangeable lens camera. You could get decent slr or mirrorless APS-C kit for less money which would be much more flexible in the long run.
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
        The new G1X Mark III is available for pre-order here for £1,149 which is an awful lot for a non-interchangeable lens camera. You could get decent slr or mirrorless APS-C kit for less money which would be much more flexible in the long run.
        How is the connectivity of these cheaper cameras? Not having NFC, Bluetooth and WiFi may not appeal to the market who will want to connect it to only their smartphone.

And I was looking at the pricing and it is on par to Fujifilm's large image sensor compacts.

Comment

How is the connectivity of these cheaper cameras?
          The 200D SLR is the latest, and second cheapest, in Canon's line up and has all those connections, plus the dual pixel a/f in live view Half the price of the G1X Mark III. Can't do 4K video of course, but most of us on this site don't have any interest in video.
          I've never seen the point in having a larger sensor camera that produces big files, then just sending them to your phone. The other way round is good though, using the phone to control the camera, works very well with my 200D and Bluetooth.
          EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

The 200D SLR is the latest, and second cheapest, in Canon's line up and has all those connections, plus the dual pixel a/f in live view Half the price of the G1X Mark III. Can't do 4K video of course, but most of us on this site don't have any interest in video.
            I've never seen the point in having a larger sensor camera that produces big files, then just sending them to your phone. The other way round is good though, using the phone to control the camera, works very well with my 200D and Bluetooth.
            Dimensions and weight the same or smaller than the G Series?

Comment

Weight is obviously more, body weight is 453 grams compared to G1X Mark III at 401 grams, then you have to add a lens. It's still pretty light though and as I can use any lens that I have from 10 to 400 mm with comfort, far more flexible.
              If I wanted a really light camera I still reckon mirrorless would be a better long term bet than compact.
              Still each to their own. Interestingly the sensor and processor on all recent APS-C slr bodies, mirrorless and now compact are exactly the same so it should be possible to get the same results, dependent on lens. I just can't see why the G1X Mark III should be more than twice the price of the M100 mirrorless (with lens), with the same essential parts inside.

Comment

How about the lens difference & does the mirrorless have a built-in EVF?

Comment

Obviously with the SLR and mirrorless you have a choice of lens. The cheaper mirrorless don't have EVF, the more expensive (M5) does.

Comment

Obviously with the SLR and mirrorless you have a choice of lens. The cheaper mirrorless don't have EVF, the more expensive (M5) does.
                    We both are not the target market for the G1X Mark III.

Canon EOS M5 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 15-45mm Lens is $1,049 but is heavier, larger and has a slower lens than the G1X Mark III. Both cameras share the same focal length range and APS-C image sensor.

The PowerShot isnt primarily targeted at people who need an ILC. Its for people who want as small and light a camera possible that provides superior image quality to supplement and connect to their smartphone.

To further assert this position that there is a market for the G1X Mark III on October 12, 2017 Canon manufactured it's 90 millionth EOS body and 130 millionth EF lens.

That comes out as 1.4444 lenses for every 1 body.

This tells me that the majority of body owners probably own 1 lens. This lens is probably the bundled kit lens hence the popularity of body kits from as high as a the 5D series to the entry 200D/SL2.

The minority own more than 1 lens.

I vaguely remember that the 1-Series bodies make up 1% of the annual production run of EOS bodies of Canon. I have never seen a 1-Series body kit bundle offered since I kept track of dSLRs in 2003.

This would be similar to Nikon as well.

So at most 1-Series bodies will not exceed 1 million units in its whole production run.
                    Last edited by dolina; 21-10-2017, 16:36.

Comment

To further assert this position that there is a market for the G1X Mark III on October 12, 2017 Canon manufactured it's 90 millionth EOS body and 130 millionth EF lens.

That comes out as 1.4444 lenses for every 1 body.

This tells me that the majority of body owners probably own 1 lens. This lens is probably the bundled kit lens hence the popularity of body kits from as high as a the 5D series to the entry 200D/SL2.

The minority own more than 1 lens.
                      I don't think you can really come to that conclusion. All you can draw from those figures is that they have made slightly more lenses than cameras. Beyond that you then have to account for how many of those bodies are still in existence, how many lenses are still in existence and how many people have more than bodies than lenses before you speculate on body:lens ownership...
                      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

What I like is the way the question was posted, not how old you are, but how young :)
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
                          I don't think you can really come to that conclusion. All you can draw from those figures is that they have made slightly more lenses than cameras. Beyond that you then have to account for how many of those bodies are still in existence, how many lenses are still in existence and how many people have more than bodies than lenses before you speculate on body:lens ownership...
                          Your position makes the assumption that a lot of people are clumsy and lost/broke their lens. ;)

There's a market for the product. If not, then why make something that wont sell?

Comment

Your position makes the assumption that a lot of people are clumsy and lost/broke their lens. ;)

There's a market for the product. If not, then why make something that wont sell?
                            Perhaps existence is not the right word, I probably should have said use. Lenses do tend to outlast cameras, in terms of continuation of use, as cameras look to have a much higher turnover rate - particularly in this day and age. Back in the days of manual cameras and lenses models tended to remain current for quite some time since there was not always that much to be improved. When the first stages of automation began things began to speed up a bit (faster metering, shutters with wider speed ranges etc) and model life started to shorten. With the advent of AF new models appeared more frequently and the digital models seem rarely to exceed 2 years before replacement - particularly at the lower end of the market.

Chances are that a lot of these cameras do still exist but are never used - I have at least half a dozen old film EOS that aren't - while the lenses went on to serve on newer models and even digital.

From this I would suggest that the near parity may be as much closely related to perceived obsolesce of the cameras as to most people having just one lens per camera....
                            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Very logical Nigel.
                              Colin

Comment

Thank you everyone for responding

Comment

Working...
                                X