Camera to complement your phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera to complement your phone

Are you looking to buy a camera to complement your smartphone but dont know what to get? Then read on!

If size & weight are important and you have no plans to buy a 2nd lens then a point & shoot with a large image sensor like those found in a Four Thirds, APS-C, Full frame camera may be of interest to you.

Large image sensor allows for better image quality than any and all smartphones.

Their built-in lens tends to have faster f-number than the kit lens of mirrorless or dSLRs.

They also have WiFi, Bluetooth and NFC to complement and connect to your smartphone.

Listed below are some of these cameras that are smaller & weigh less than their mirrorless counterpart. These are accurate as of the date of this posting.

Full Frame
    - Leica Q (Type 116) < looks like a Leica M camera but with auto focus and auto aperture
    - Sony RX1R II
    - Sony RX1R
    - Sony RX1

APS-C
    - Fujifilm X100F
    - Ricoh GR II
    - Canon G1 Mark III
    - Fujifilm X70
    - Leica X-U (Typ 113)

Four Thirds
    - Leica D-LUX (Typ 109)
    - Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100

Another option that offers higher utility may be buying a flagship phone like a Google Pixel 2 or iPhone 8.

You may leave your new camera at home but never your phone.

The best camera you can ever own is the one with you always.
    Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

Re: Camera to complement your phone

You may leave your new camera at home but never your phone.
    Not me.

Phone nearly always left in the car, camera nearly always with me. Now that may be because I am old, or it may be because I am wise enough to realise that spending a couple of hours a day on Facebook offers no significant advantage to my quality of life.
    Colin

Comment

I have tried to find a small camera that fits in a pocket....to be better than my phone and as close as possible to an APSC or Full Frame image quality......but I've given up!
      If it wont go in your pocket you need a bag...if that's the case you may as well get a small dSLR or CSC system in my opinion.
      I've used the Fuji X10 and Fuji X70.....not bad but not nearly as good as a dSLR or APSC CSC....and they barely go in a pocket.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Great to know Colin.

But keep in mind this thread isn't for serious photographers like yourself who lean heavily on expressing yourself creatively.

This is more for casual photographers who want to document in high image quality photos of their life events like their kid's first steps, graduation, vacations, dinner out with friends and family, birthdays, dates, anniversaries and others.

Sharing these within seconds onto the Internet whether it be Facebook, iMessage or email

In fact for that reason alone is why the sales of digital point & shoots that peaked at 108 million units in 2010 dropped to 12 million units in 2016.

Mirrorless and dSLRs that shipped 11 million units in 2016 are expected this year to sell more cameras than point & shoots as sales of these cameras will continue to decline below 11 million.

I personally expect sales of point & shoots to stabilize at 2-3 million units or about 20% of the total camera market by 2020.

Brian, check the Ricoh. It might be smaller than the Fujis.

Comment

The Fuji is smaller in 2 dimensions but I think the lens sticks out a bit more than the X70.....I looked at both and went for the X70 on balance, but sold it as I could seldom take it out without a bag and so resolved to a compact dSLR.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Dont forget that the Canon M range has some decent options with the advantage of the ability to use EF lenses.
            I am very happy with EOS M and use it when I just don't have the space to carry anything else around.

And after all, this is a Canon forum.
            Andy

Comment

Getting a Canon M assumes you'll get a 2nd lens. And I have reservations of the size and weight matching a compact at the same angles of view and f-numbers

Comment

Originally posted by dolina View Post
                Getting a Canon M assumes you'll get a 2nd lens. And I have reservations of the size and weight matching a compact at the same angles of view and f-numbers
                Not sure an EOS M with a pancake type lens would be bigger than a Fuji X100F, in fact I think it's smaller?
                I think it's a credible option, but like lots of things it comes down to personal preference.
                Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  Not sure an EOS M with a pancake type lens would be bigger than a Fuji X100F, in fact I think it's smaller?
                  I think it's a credible option, but like lots of things it comes down to personal preference.
                  I would love to see the comparison between that and a Richo GR II. :)

Comment

By the power of Google...
                    Looking for a Canon EOS M vs Ricoh GR II comparison? The EOS M has a touchscreen. Find out where the GR II wins!

not much difference in size, but they are different beasts in terms of sensors and the Ricoh is a much newer model.
                    Andy

Comment

I don't bother with camera phones, although I have got one. Don't bother to take any pictures with it. I prefer my Canon G15 compact which is small enough to fit into my jacket pocket and takes excellent pictures. It also has got the full range of Canon funtionality- auto,TV.AV, etc.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                      X