Advise please- re a shinning brass plaque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advise please- re a shinning brass plaque

There is a brass plaque in my Cathedral commorating 7 nurses who fell in the great war. I have been requested to photograph this plaque with the relevant inscription. The problem is that this plaque has been polished to such an extent that it is shinning all the time making it difficult for me to take a decent photograph. Can any member suggest ways in which I can dull the shine so that I can take a photograph showing the details inscribed on the plaque.

Many thanks.

Nat

P.S Can I dust it with plain flour and then take the photo?
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 23-10-2017, 22:09.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Advise please- re a shinning brass plaque

Have you got an example image showing the problem plaque Nat?

I suspect that the way the plaque is reflecting the light may be the major problem, are you seeing your/or other reflections in the plaque as you try to photograph it?

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Possibly negative exp compensation ,this is where RAW and a decent editor system would be best though I.e highlights and shadow control

Comment

Surely it can only shine when there is a specific light source reflecting off it. If taking the shot at a different angle is not going to work for you, i..e you want it straight on, could you try using an umbrella or get someone to hold a sheet of paper/cloth covering the source of the reflective light. Hopefully your 6D will still be OK in this low light, esp if, as Jeff says, you shoot RAW and sort it out later.
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

you could try using a flash as the main light source, though the flash would need to be coming in from the side.
          If the natural light is coming from the side, you could try a polarising filter.

John

Comment

Thanks folks for your good advice. The offending reflection is from an overhead light (electric) plus some natural light from the other side of the cathedral. I think a polarising filter might do the trick. I will also try flash from the side.Will also take a large umbrella to block out the light.

My assignment is to take many of the artefacts in the cathedral for the use of the cathedral guides when all the building works have been completed by January next year. The brass plaque if one of the items to be photographed.
            Last edited by Nathaniel; 24-10-2017, 08:58.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

That is a tricky assignment.....my thoughts are that a home studio background stand and a cloth background might be useful to block side lighting.
              I'd also go for long exposure tripod mounted, keeping ISO low and avoid introducing any more light sources.
              Good luck!
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

You could try 'Dulling Spray'

http://www.swkenyon.com
                Chris

My Website

Comment

Have you got a polarising filter for your lens?
                  See more at www.andyleslie.com and www.facebook.com/AndyLesliePhotography, not to mention https://www.flickr.com/photos/andylesliephotography/

There's birds in them thar hills!

Comment

Thanks guys once again. Yes, I have polarising filters for both my 24-105mm & 70-300mm lenses- seldom used.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                      Thanks guys once again. Yes, I have polarising filters for both my 24-105mm & 70-300mm lenses- seldom used.
                      Now is the time.
                      See more at www.andyleslie.com and www.facebook.com/AndyLesliePhotography, not to mention https://www.flickr.com/photos/andylesliephotography/

There's birds in them thar hills!

Comment

Polarising filters are most effective with reflections from non-metallic surfaces. You might see little or no reduction of reflections from metallic surfaces.

In the days when I shot with film, it was essential to get everything just right before pressing the shutter button. I used a dulling spray, as mentioned by freshwater above. It is easy to apply and remove.

I am not sure how shooting in RAW and the post-processing would remove reflections. Perhaps someone could post some before and after images to prove me wrong.
                        Robert
                        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Try the polarise, or try getting someone to hold some dark card to block the offending light sources.
                          Andy
                          Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

Thanks Robert & Andy. I will try the dulling spray as well but where do I buy it from?

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                              Thanks Robert & Andy. I will try the dulling spray as well but where do I buy it from?
                              Freshwater gave a link to SW Kenyon earlier in this thread. They have stockists around the country, see:
                              There are now over 20 countries where you can obtain your favourite K-LINE photographic product
                              Robert
                              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Working...
                              X