Advise please- re a shinning brass plaque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advise please- re a shinning brass plaque

Nathaniel - make sure you get full permission from the Cathedral authorities before spraying the plaque with anything.

Good luck!
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I used to use hair spray to dull reflections. Easy to apply and easy to remove.
      Colin

Comment

Thanks Robert, John and Colin. This work is fully authorised by the Cathedral. I will be accompanied by one of the Cathedral guides & I also have a sort of title as "Cathedral photographer"!!!!! I hope to make a start tomorrow.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
          Thanks Robert & Andy. I will try the dulling spray as well but where do I buy it from?
          Apparently hairspray, eg Elnett Satin, works quite well...
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Whilst flash is OK a constant light source with a diffuser will make things much easier. Some good LED ones these days.

Best if you can shield the plaque from external light that's causing reflections. Place your light source at 45 degs to the plaque and start from there. Some reflectors could help, foil on cardboard a good homemade solution.

Dulling spray is often used particularly for images of cars where certain shiny surfaces can be a problem.

If you've lots of things to photograph time spent getting a working solution will help with the others.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I think a Polarising filter would do the trick, or get a piece of non reflective glass, the sort that is used for framing pictures and shoot through that.
              Alternatively can it be removed - un-screwed and taken somewhere more suitable to photograph.
              Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thanks Ant & Trev. I hope to take the pictures tomorrow and will see what happens. The plaque cannot be removed as it has been embedded into the wall. The other artefacts are quite straightforward and presents no problems. Have posted quite a few on my FB page.
                Last edited by Nathaniel; 25-10-2017, 08:55.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Before spraying the plaque, make sure you have permission, or using an umbrella (black) to see if you can block the offending reflections

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom. Permission obtained. I am acutally being accompanied, TODAY, by one of the Cathedral guides who has requested the photographs to be taken. If the photos are not satisfactory I will take the dullness spray next time round.
                    Last edited by Nathaniel; 25-10-2017, 09:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
                      I think a Polarising filter would do the trick....
                      Can you post details of a polarising filter which works with reflections from metallic surfaces?
                      Robert
                      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                        Can you post details of a polarising filter which works with reflections from metallic surfaces?
                        think the key word is here Robert is "think" its worth a try
                        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                          think the key word is here Robert is "think" its worth a try
                          Worth a try if you want to prove to yourself that polarising filters do not reduce reflections from metallic surfaces, but not good advice to someone who is asking how to reduce or eliminate reflections from metallic surfaces.

Non-metallic surfaces polarise the light they reflect. This means that the reflected light can be controlled by a a polarising filter.

Metallic surfaces do not polarise the light they reflect, which means that a polarising filter is ineffective.

You can see the effect of a polarising filter with metallic and non-metallic surfaces in the following YouTube video (a tripod for the camera would have helped):
                          Just a quick comparison whether a polarizer will affect light reflected from a metallic surface or not. Here we have two metal objects on a leather drum thro...

If you are working in very controlled conditions you can place a sheet of polarising material in front of the light source. Light reflected from the metal surface will now be polarised and can be controlled by a polarising filter on the camera lens. Small sheets of polarising film (to cover a flash head, for example) are affordable, but larger sheets to cover tungsten lights quickly become expensive. See:
                          Robert
                          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice. I have been to the Cathedral and taken some photos of this shiny metal plaque. Camera used :- Canon 6D with 70-300mm L lens plus polarising filter. As Robert mentioned, the use of a polarising filter & an umbrella to block the reflected light was marginally satisfactory- there was still some glare. As shown in the first picture. I then applied some "brasso" on the plaque with umbrella behind and the result was satisfactory to the Cathedral guide. This is the second picture. I have not edited any of these photos as yet.

IMG_6821 by Nathaniel Ramanaden, on Flickr

IMG_6825 by Nathaniel Ramanaden, on Flickr
                            Last edited by Nathaniel; 25-10-2017, 15:18.

Comment

Glad you got it all sorted Nat
                              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Well done Nathaniel ............... you pulled it off.
                                Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X