Scarborough Fair Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scarborough Fair Collection

Scarborough Fair Collection, not just fair ground rides but also a great collection of cars, motorbikes and buses

IMG_8723(3) by Will Smith, on Flickr

Re: Scarborough Fair Collection

Lovely car.

Tom

Comment

I like that...
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

You caught that well, stands out well from the background

Regards Paul

Comment

thats a wow , nice work
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Not an easy subject but you nailed it

Cheers,
            John

Comment

Originally posted by Will Smith View Post
              Scarborough Fair Collection, not just fair ground rides but also a great collection of cars, motorbikes and buses

IMG_8723(3) by Will Smith, on Flickr
              I entered this into a local camera club competition and it got slated, the judge did not like the lights in the roof, said the car pops out to much and that I would have been better shooting the front of the car.
              Some I feel were justified but others not.
              What you you Think?

Comment

It's the classic three-quarter view so nothing wrong with the composition. Pops out too much well, that just beggars belief! If you hadn't used bokeh to separate it from the background it would have been confused. I can see the point about the lights being intrusive and, perhaps, a crop or muting them would have been best but the clarity with which you've captured the car still makes it a great image for me. Really though, I suspect the judge rides a bicycle

Cheers,
                John

Comment

Totally agree with the above, the whole idea is to make the subject stand out, as for the lights well you could darken them down, but it works for me.
                  Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Judges go through various training courses to ensure a consistency of standards throughout their Region. The first criteria is medical, to ensure they have no cognitive function whatsoever and then a sight test to ensure they have fully impaired vision. Once those are completed, training can begin down to a standard of mediocrity. I knows this 'cos I are a Judge!

Slightly more seriously, whatever Judges do, they are on a hiding to nothing. Around 40 images to Judge, with only a few seconds at the image before you are expected to comment and then mark it, before moving on to the next. The easiest thing to latch onto is what is wrong in the image and get caught up in that, before time runs out and you have to move on to the next image. Whereas a more proficient Judge would comment on their initial impression of the image, discuss what the photographer did well, how the image makes him feel, is there a story to be gained from the image and then finally and in the spirit of helpful advice, suggest ways in which the image could be improved.

Just a few thoughts which may help:

• Take out the brightness from the overhead lights.
                    • Generally tone down the background.
                    • Adjust the car's position so there is more space in front.

37838059676_4b5399e74a_zA by Colin Cross, on Flickr
                    Colin

Comment

Like most judges they don't live in the real world !! your edit is excellent and whilst I can see what Colin has done by pulling the lights back I prefer yours as it fits the location well, after all the car is in a garage. On another forum I often used to have a run in with this so called "judge" and his constant reference to "its a nice record shot" ...yours is excellent
                      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                        Like most judges they don't live in the real world !! your edit is excellent and whilst I can see what Colin has done by pulling the lights back I prefer yours as it fits the location well, after all the car is in a garage. On another forum I often used to have a run in with this so called "judge" and his constant reference to "its a nice record shot" ...yours is excellent
                        As you might guess, I don't like the concept of a "nice record shot" - sure it has its place, but not in art!

As for the original, I think you are 90% there. Colin's edit takes it another 5%. I think the final touch would be to take it back in to PS and throw a texture over the whole thing but to mask out the car so that it shows through. You could do almost the same thing with a major Gaussian blur to the background. You could play a little with some dodging and burning to enhance the light. But I think it is a blooming good photograph and you have done a great job of showing off the car.

Mind you, my suggested edits could potentially blow the mind of the judge... never (unlike Colin) having been one!

Great work

Richard
                        Last edited by rcarca; 12-11-2017, 15:24.
                        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

It is rather good fun to put an image in front of a judge that they don't have a clue how it was taken, or what it is about. The more seasoned Judges will admit they haven't a clue and give the photographer the benefit. The rest will grab a very large shovel and dig an even larger hole for themselves, before finally admitting defeat.
                          Colin

Comment

Working...
                          X