Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

300 mm f2.8 with 1.4 converter , odd results .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300 mm f2.8 with 1.4 converter , odd results .

I do not normally get enough reach from using my 1.4 converter , and so my 2x virtually lives on my 300 . However I thought I would give the 1.4 ago on my 7D . My results are mixed but disappointing . I was using a tripod shutter speeds were good , and on occasion I stopped down to f.8 . Even though the A.F point was in the same place , a lot , and I mean a lot came out soft . Stuff that looked pin sharp through the viewfinder , was not so when I viewed them at home . I am guessing it`s going to be down to micro adjustment ? But why would some be sharp and some not ? I don`t trust it anymore.
    And it`s a shame because I could shoot a little longer with that slightly wider aperture .

Re: 300 mm f2.8 with 1.4 converter , odd results .

Canon extender or 3rd party? There have been may discussions on the forum about converter lens compatibility and one thing that seems clear from them is that generally third party converters work well with some lenses and not so much with others although I'm not sure there's necessarily a pattern to it.

May also be worth cleaning the contacts if the converter hasn't been used for a while. Shots that vary in sharpness could be the result of inconsistent AF data transfer between lens and body. Also is your lens IS? Recent? IS systems on earlier lenses can go into a feedback loop when mounted on a tripod - if they don't detect real camera shake they can mistake their own movements for camera shake and try to compensate for them, they then try to compensate for this and so on until the image becomes unacceptably soft.
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Hello Nigel ,I waited nearly 30 years to get my 300 F2.8 , it`s the latest version along with the mklll converter , I will try cleaning the contacts as I don`t use it very often . I pretty much leave the IS on , it is I was told by a knowledgeable togger that that was fine ?

Comment

Mark a lot depends on the distance to target involved ,the owls and harrier shots from this week of mine are really to far away for sharp shots ,but you are still tempted to try. Have you tried a micro adjust with the lens and t.c fitted . Your right in leaving the i.s on to unless you have a mega tripod and gimbal.i don’t think it will be dirty contacts either . I also have the gut feeling that the last couple of recent storms have left a dust residue in the air affecting i.q

Comment

Regarding the dust , the photos in question do have that feel to them . I was not shooting at infinity , which kinda makes it worse I think . I had a Fallow Doe almost full frame , foucus point on the head , but the head still looks soft . Used the 2x again today and was quite happy with results .

Comment

Does sound like a micro adjust problem ,left you instructions in the other thread

Comment

Working...
            X