Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80D upgrade

Hi all,

I currently have an 80d with a efs 55-250, efs 60mm macro, and a efs 15-85mm.

I like taking landscape, woodland, sunset/sunrise, street photography.

I have some money coming in from a job, do I expand my current lenses, efs17-55mm f2.8, 50mm 1.8, ef 24-105mm, or 70-200mm.

Or

5d mkiii, 24-105mm, sell my other lenses and then get 50mm 1.8 etc.

I know 80d vs 5d mkiii, is like comparing and Apple to a banana, but I think with the photography I do it would be better.

What do you think?

Thanks, Kev.
    EOS 80D, EFS 10-16mm, EF 50mm 1.8 STM, EFS 15-85mm, EFS 55-250mm IS STM

Re: 80D upgrade

IMHO you have got everything you need for your photographic genre. I note that you have your bases covered from 15mm to 250mm. I suggest that you use your present equipment as much as possible.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

It`s a shame your lenses are mostly efs , I would recommend owning a full frame body if you have the funds . I still use a crop body , but more often than not , I have my 5D mklll attached . I am more into wildlife , so it`s a bit of a different ball game for me , though I have to say I have been very impressed with the quality photos my 5D gives .

Comment

There are alternative full frame bodies to the 5D Mk III, the 6D Mk II costs less (if you are planning to buy new) and will give similar results. As you don't mention action photography, the original 6D is still available and does a good job on the subjects you mention, you can get a used body with very low shutter count for not much over £800. That's what I did and I'm very happy with mine. The saving could be well spent on lenses, the 16 - 35 mm F4 would be ideal for that type of photography.
        EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I think that you have gotten some good advice. I own the 80D and I sold my 5DMKIII and bought the 6DMKII. I do mostly landscape photography and a lot of waterfalls. What the 6DMKII has over the 5DMKIII is canon's newest processor, the dual pixel focusing, and the screen that flips. I find that feature very useful as taking the waterfall pictures I find myself in position where using the viewfinder no practical.

As for the 80D, I has the Tamron 18-400 attached and that is the camera I use for hiking and our long walks. It is does very well for landscape shots.

Tom

Comment

hmmm crop over full frame .I had the 80D and totally loved it ,miss it sometimes ,TILL I was stood shoulder to shoulder with Steve Dawes using the same lenses but he was using a 1DX his photos from that day made mine look like picture postcards .you can't beat the i.q from either full frame or 1D"H" sensor models .my advice would be to take a card to a branch of London camera exchange and ask to pop it in a demo model and take a few shots then go home and process them ,before buying at least you will see the difference right off .

P.S or any local camera shop !

Comment

I notice that you mention a 50mm f1.8 a few times in your original post.....a fast lens is the tool for shallow depth of field.....yes you can blur backgrounds at f4 but the faster lens you have the more opportunities you have and fast lenses are good for low light and keeping the ISO down....so this might be the ticket for improving your arsenal rather than the sometimes marginal gains of full frame over APSC.
              Good advice above from the black fox.....then you can really see the difference.
              I have taken shots with a 100D and 5D3 with 17-40f4L and they are pretty indistinguishable. The size of photo site on the sensor is as important as the the sensor size itself...I would wager that a 24MP APSC will produce better results than a 50MP Full frame...assuming the same generation of electronics.
              If you have a burning desire for FF...I did too....then it won't be quenched until you get one.....so go for 5D3, 6D, 6DII if thats the case. If you browse my flickr site you can see which cameras have been used for each shot....there is a fair spattering of FF and APSC......to be honest the APSC gets more use due to better portability.
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but I have been asked to take the pictures at a friend's wedding.
                He's short on budget and the only one he knows who has a camera that's not attached to a phone.
                It will be inside at a local manor house and some outside, will the 5d be much better on the high iso.
                Thanks, kev
                EOS 80D, EFS 10-16mm, EF 50mm 1.8 STM, EFS 15-85mm, EFS 55-250mm IS STM

Comment

A lot depends on your processing skills ,noise is only a problem for those that don’t know how to get rid of it ,

Comment

If you can I would see if the wedding venue will allow you to visit, scout out a few locations for the wedding shots and do some practice shots, just explain to them why. That way you will be aware of noise and lighting issues etc beforehand and what does and does not work location wise.

For noise issues I tend to use a programme called Neat Image.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

If doing a wedding with one camera then ideally you should have two card slots in the camera....else have a second body at the ready.

I had a CF card fail just one hour into a wedding...so it does happen.....I was using a 5D3 so had the SD card recording all the same shots so no problem.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                      X