Lightroom or Luminar 2018?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightroom or Luminar 2018?

Macphun have e-mailed me (as a new Aurora 2018 for Windows user) alerting to me the "all-new Luminar 2018" which appears to be their version of the Lightroom editor < see here >. Is it worth serious consideration or should I stay with LR 5.7? I have no intention of going CC.

Cheers,
    John

Re: Lightroom or Luminar 2018?

I’m not convinced by Macphun at the moment. I bought the original version of Luminar when it first came out and while it did some nice stuff, it had some horrible limitations - glacially slow and if you opened more than one file at a time memory usage became outrageous. Speed has improved with the releases since that time but the multiple files problem is still there. So now if I use it, I use it as a plugin the Photoshop rather than as a stand-alone app as it’s much more responsive

But the real thing that’s soured it for me is the promises that have not been delivered. The DAM was coming soon for most of this year as were promised performance improvements. But now it seems that I need to pay another £53 to get them which grates somewhat. Also I’ve now started using LR CC on an iPad Pro and it’s way faster than LR CC was on my MacBook Pro and it works in the same way as every other Adobe product so I know how to get what I want out of it. These latest moves at Adobe seem to have annoyed a lot of people but they’re just what I wanted.

So for me it’s a definite case of caveat emptor and I’d hang on for a few months to see what the reviews of the final product say before deciding...
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

The comments on Macphun and LR CC are very interesting. I have been considering Macphun for my IMac but was not convinced enough yet to splash out money. As I have a IPad Pro and sharing the editing between the two platforms is something I'd like to do. Do you use photoshop in the same way?
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

My original workflow was card reader to Mac, Fuji files through a DNG converter and then bridge and ACR into Photoshop. Canon files I take into Photoshop direct through Bridge and ACR - it’s actually CS5 so an old Photoshop, not the CC version.

Since I got the iPad two weeks ago I’ve completely stopped using that workflow and use LR Mobile CC exclusively and it works extremely well. The iPad has plenty of grunt to run it and LR works extremely well. I only took out the Mobile subscription for £4.95 per month but I’ll probably upgrade to the full £9.95 deal sometime soon...
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I've got Lightroom CC + Photoshop CC and recently bought Luminar as I'd read good things about it & was wondering what Adobe's plans for Lightroom were as they've now renamed the original Lightroom as LR 'Classic' CC and Lightroom CC now refers to the cloud-orientated version.

As it is, Luminar for PC is missing quite a few of the features of the Mac version but these are promised shortly as it a DAM next year. There are a few annoying niggles too; if you open a full size image as 'Fit to Screen' on my 24” monitor it opens at about 74% (or 88% with filters bottom margin closed), but this appears to mean 74% of the available space of the Luminar window. Same with 100% - this displays the photo with the left & right edges of the photo reaching the sides of the available space & you can scroll up and down to see the missing parts at the top/bottom of the image. A bit hard to explain but the % appears to refer to the % of the Luminar screen used rather than the actual % of the photo size. So whereas in Photoshop on my screen I'd look at photos at 25% to approximately fill screen and give good sharpness (PS is always better at 25/50/100) on Luminar it's about 88% and in PS to check sharpness I'd zoom to 100%, with Luminar who knows as 100% does not show the photo at full size?? Another little niggle – whenever I open Luminar it opens as a small window – not filling the screen so I have to click to fit to the screen.

So as it stands at the moment , Lightroom is still much better but I think Luminar certainly has promise & you can use it as a plugin with both PS & LR.

I'll carry on using LR Classic CC & Photoshop CC but will keep up with Luminar in case Adobe to decide to phase out LR Classic.

So much depends on your workflow & personal preferences - as Andy mentioned the recent moves by Adobe have not gone down well with many (me included!) mainly due to the renaming of LR. Adobe have since clarified that they intend to keep both LR Classic CC & LR CC developed together but I think it would have helped if they'd renamed the as LR Pro CC & LR Mobile CC or similar.

I prefer to edit on a desktop with dual screens so the 'new' LR CC was not of much interest to me - downloaded to my PC but it is very basic but as with Luminar will become more sophisticated in time.
          Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

I've just downloaded Luminar18 and I'm very impressed. I've been using Macphun software for a while, although, I suppose we should get used to the new name Skylum. The Aurora program is stunning and the best HDR editor I've ever used, I'm sure after the little bit of playing today Luminar18 is going to be the same as the old version was impressive, this one has had a massive boost in features.

For me Skylum is a game changer for Abode as I can see a lot moving over to it, the only thing LR has over this now is the Library and search but apparently thats being worked on and will be ready as an upgrade sometime next year.

I do think they are both stunning programs, but the Windows machines are lacking some features and from what I've read VERY buggy, but once those are sorted I think very little is going to stop a lot moving

Big wake up call for Adobe ....GOOD !!!!
            Last edited by Tigger; 18-11-2017, 16:53.
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Downloaded the newest version a few days ago mainly because I have LR (one user / machine only, not truly standalone and expensive) Cory needs a decent editor and this was cheaper AND you can instal it on up to 5 devices for no extra cost.

Initial reports from 'the boss' - outstanding, a lot to get your head around if you're not used to so many options but the filters / presets etc are outstanding. Only real downside - Cory is now revisiting all her Canada photo's and making mine look rubbish lol. I will let her keep testing it before I decide which to keep (Adobe has really wound me up with the 'you HAVE to go cloud base because it's what we want' - their email response to a truly stand alone version was verging on plain rude)

Down and dirty 5 second edit (yes a little too much on the saturation but I wanted to see how easy it really was)
              before:
              Canada 23-06-16 0011a.jpg

after:
              Canada 23-06-16 0011.jpg

.DAVID.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by David Stallard; 19-11-2017, 16:14.
              Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

PS: removed a tiny tree front and centre, the differences are MUCH more prominent full size, the direct upload has lost some of the 'punch'

.DAVID.
                Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Wow, that's pretty good David. I would even keep the general over saturation as it is, but just tone it down a little for the well lit forest on the right.

From OK to wall hanger in 5 seconds is pretty good going.
                  Colin

Comment

Luminar offers a Ai slider, with this you can virtually process an image by just using this alone

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I pre-ordered Luminar 2018 as soon as I saw a demonstration and downloaded it when released. Really, as a principled non-cloud LR user it was a no brainer. I'll still be using LR as the first stage in my workflow but will probably be using Luminar for most of my editing from now on and, when Skylum introduce their own cataloguing, will probably adopt that too and leave Adobe behind.

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

Just thought it might be worth mentioning for anyone interested in getting a feel for Luminar, that Anthony Morganti is currently releasing a load of 'Mastering Luminar' videos on You Tube. This should give a good idea of its capabilities, particular for those like me that learned Lightroom from Morganti's videos.
                        Canon EOS 7D
                        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                          Just thought it might be worth mentioning for anyone interested in getting a feel for Luminar, that Anthony Morganti is currently releasing a load of 'Mastering Luminar' videos on You Tube. This should give a good idea of its capabilities, particular for those like me that learned Lightroom from Morganti's videos.
                          Ah, now that is interesting and very welcome news.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                            yes watched them yesterday, although he's only touched the surface so far, theres a lot more to Luminar than he's covered. And Alex the photo you just liked edited with it :)

Comment

I pre-ordered Luminar 2018 and even though i haven't tried it yet i've watched the videos mentioned above and it looks pretty impressive !
                              Looking forward to seeing how the DAM fairs when it comes .
                              I'll probably renew my Adobe subscription for another year to see how Luminar pans out but after that who knows ?
                              Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Comment

Working...
                              X