Portland Bill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portland Bill.

This post was inspired by Tigger's shot of the library and waiting for people to disappear from the shot.

I have spent countless hours and hours waiting for people to clear the shot, so that I can capture the image without people. My tolerance only goes so far and then I get a bit grumpy and impatient and usually Mrs C brings me back to earth and quite rightly points out that they have a right to be there. I still secretly wish for a Barrett 50 calibre sniper rifle though!

However, on this particular shot, I could see the storm clouds gathering in the background, with the foreground still nicely lit before the rain came and often in these conditions, there is the possibility of a rainbow. And then the coach arrived disgorging all the pensioners on their annual outing. I hoped they would go to the tea room, but no, they had to mill about in front of the lighthouse. I was getting grumpier and Mrs C had gone into overdrive with the "Calm Down" procedure, but it was quite obvious they weren't going to leave until the rain poured down on them in torrents. Well some did go for a wander and that just left the hard core to contend with, but by this time, the sky had gone darker and a rainbow had appeared, so I had to take the shot as it was, rather than how I wanted it to be.

Later in front of the computer, I used the mighty Photoshop as my Sniper Rifle. Not quite one shot one kill, but increasingly satisfying with each one I took out.

Mrs C brought me a welcome cup of tea just as I had finished, looked at the result and said "that shot needs some people in it". As she walked off I managed to stop myself going into full grumpy mode and decided to prove her wrong by resurrecting some of the deceased, to show her the error of her remark. It only took a few moments and then ............... I saw her point. How annoying is that?

The people add context and scale to the shot and in this example it seems to work. What do you think?

Without.

Portland Bill 007f by Colin Cross, on Flickr

With.

Portland Bill 007e by Colin Cross, on Flickr
    Colin

Re: Portland Bill.

Well you had the same dilemma as I did when I took the image of the Mayan Temple with a crowd of people milling around trying to get their photo snapped in front of the temple. So like you I had to take the shot with as few people as I could, then back to the ship and I used Snapheal to eliminate them one by one.

SO as for you image, I agree that the people do give a sense of scale, but if I were to print one of them, it would be the image without the people in it. Either way, a well composed image Colin

Tom

Comment

It’s a great image either way. IMHO in this image they are not a distraction as the dark sky, rainbow and lighthouse are such a strong focus. Pity they were not in full wet weather gear!
      Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
        SO as for you image, I agree that the people do give a sense of scale, but if I were to print one of them, it would be the image without the people in it. Either way, a well composed image Colin

Tom
        agree with Tom ... and yes as I said on my thread its something that drives me crazy.

but something I've learned the best way, assuming you are going to nuke the humans, is to wait until they are somewhere in the shot that offers an easy edit then you can loose them very easy, although saying that yesterday was a VERY challenging edit for me and by the time I'd finished in photoshop had 25 layers and had spent an hour working on the image. ...now the question is should I do the same as you and show just what I removed :)
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

It's a lovely image, with or without the people. As has been said, they don't detract from the main subject, which still dominates. Having said that, I slightly prefer the one without.

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
          now the question is should I do the same as you and show just what I removed :)
          Yes, please!!!
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Superb image(s) and an excellent post. Tom sums it up for me - people add scale but I wouldn't have them in any print I produced. If I've interpreted it properly Ian's idea on "people removal stacking" is interesting. I tend to just clone them out on a single layer but Ian's idea would be better.
            - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

I only stack layers just in case after nuking one thing / person I can start on another and should I get it wrong just delete that layer, rather than having to click undo loads of times...
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Gorgeous image and worth the effort. My wife thinks I am overly obsessive about getting people free shots, not because they add scale or context, just because they genuinely don't bother her. Maybe sometimes we over criticise our own images.
                For me, I much prefer the image without. In this case I feel there is enough other information around to provide scale and to add context I would rather they were admiring the view not just chatting amongst themselves.
                Canon EOS 7D
                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Cracking shot and patience rewarded with the Rainbow, much prefer the shot without the interlopers though

Regards Paul

Comment

Lovely shot Colin, can't stop laughing re your write up. Think we have a lot in common I'm always being told, you're not the only person on this earth, they have a right to be here.
                    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Sadly Mrs. C. was proved right; much better with those damned people in shot...

Stunning work Colin; love it. Fabulous light, fabulous sky, great rainbow, and just the three (rule of odds!!!) people too
                      Cheers;
                      Lee
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
                      5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
                      17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Working...
                      X