Help please - Extremely distorted image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please - Extremely distorted image

Apologies for my first post being a question but I've encountered a problem with my 80D which had left me stumped. I know there can be a bit of distortion when using a wide angle lens but this seems a bit extreme and in the wrong direction. The photo was taken at 10mm (efs 10-18mm)and the building on the left is leaning drastically into the frame, I can assure you it was not built this way. I also have some photos at 22mm which seem to show a slight lean which leads me to believe that the issue is with the camera.
    I've never had an issue like this before and am hoping I've just changed a setting somewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers, Chris.
    Attached Files

Re: Help please - Extremely distorted image

That's a typical result from any wide angle lens that has been tilted upwards. At 10mm the effect tends to be far more exaggerated than at 22mm and the more you tilt the lens up the worse it gets. I get it a lot with my 10-20 Sigma and 10-24 Tamron lenses.

It can be corrected in software. You can do it in Photoshop or similar editing suites. In PS navigate to the transformation option (it's located differently in full PS and PS Elements) and select either perspective or free distort. This will add small boxes at the corners of the image, click and hold one of the top corner boxes and pull it sideways until the building appears reasonably upright. If you select the perspective option both sides will be adjusted equally, with free distort only the side you pull moves. You may also find that you need to use free distort to stretch the image upwards as altering the perspective as above can make the building look a bit squashed.

You will also need to crop the image afterwards to get it rectangular again.

Rest assured there is NOTHING wrong with the camera, this is a real effect caused by the laws of optics.

PS here's one from my 40D with 10-20mm at 10mm, see how distorted the buildings are...

_MG_7014 (1024x683).jpg
    Last edited by El Sid; 09-11-2017, 13:28.
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Do you have Lens aberration correction/Distortion enabled? And is the 10 -18 lens registered in your camera? Of course, these corrections are only visible in a jpeg, not in Raw. At 10 mm there will be a fair amount of barrel distortion which needs correction.
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

In camera distortion correction can only correct fixed lens based distortions. Perspective distortion, as we see here, is infinitely variable and dependent on degree of tilt and distance of the subject, in camera correction can't help with this.
        Nigel

Comment

I'm with Nigel on this one. The line through the central of the lens to the centre of the sensor was not parallel to the ground but higher at the front of the lens. It's much more marked on short focal lengths, longer lengths it can become pretty much indistinguishable which is why you see it more at 10mm than 18mm and probably wouldn't notice it at 400mm.
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies folks, glad to know it's not a broken camera. Have worked with distortion before but not to this level, but then I've never pointed a 10mm up at the stars before. Better get some editing done then.

Thanks once again, Chris.

Comment

Ohh and Welcome Chris
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Welcome Chris - I have had to deal with similar distortion - it is worth considering portrait mode to get a reasonable amount of sky while being closer to horizontal
                John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Or doing a panoramic on multiple levels then stitching them
                  Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisHume View Post
                    Thanks for the quick replies folks, glad to know it's not a broken camera. Have worked with distortion before but not to this level, but then I've never pointed a 10mm up at the stars before. Better get some editing done then.

Thanks once again, Chris.
                    Sometimes it's best to use the distortion rather than try to overcome it. In the example below the roof line was deliberately aligned with the edge of the frame and everything else was left to it's own devices...

I Am The Music Man...
                    by Nigel Hayes, on Flickr
                    Nigel

Comment

Working...
                    X