Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SHOWCASE 2017.....IS HERE

I KNOW ITS LONG – BUT PLEASE READ IT ALL IF ENTERING:

OK – yes, I'm sucker enough to do it again, despite the poor number of entries last year. So here we go again and yes its opening early this year, to see if it will encourage more entries and to give time for people to get their entries together to send in. There is a change to the entry rules this year, allowing slightly larger file size as this was a critique received last year, but I cannot open it to unlimited file sizes due to my own email / hosting capacity etc.

Entries can now be made with immediate effect but I do suggest you just start putting things together for now as there is still time to the end of the year to get that all important winner taken, processed and entered. Please ensure you read the entire post regarding entries, rules etc.

Good luck everyone - let's have some fun.

The Idea:
    This is an ideal opportunity to share our best photos of the year, and because the theme and time span are so wide, the quality should as in previous years be very high! For people who like a little bit of a challenge this may be a good way to finish the year. If you don’t like competitions you can just enjoy looking at other peoples work.

In brief:
    Choose up to a maximum of five of your best images, any theme or style. Ensure your images are a maximum of 1024 pixels along its widest/longest edge and the file size no more than 5Meg in size. The EXIF data must be kept intact. The images must have been taken by you using a Canon EOS camera between 1st January 2017 and 31st December 2017 and be in jpeg format.

Please compress your entries into one ‘.zip’ compressed file and attach to an email. Most should know how to do this, but if anyone does not understand what this means then please PM me for instructions.

The images will be posted in a temporary album after the entry closing date (see Rule 1 below) when people can submit votes for their favourites – Everyone can be a ‘judge’ – you’re voting for the best pictures in your opinion. All votes will remain anonymous from everyone else – only you and the organiser will know your votes – no one else.

If you have problems sending the file then PM me as it might be that my inbox is full and I need to download / do some housekeeping. If your email is not acknowledged in 7 days, then please PM me as well as it might be I haven’t received it.

Prize:
    This is just for fun and the right to use “Winner of the EOS-Magazine-Forum - xxx Category 2017" or "...End of Year Showcase - 2017” in forum signature. But you don’t have to... It's all for fun. In previous years as well some of the winners have had their photos published in the magazine (not guaranteed as I am not affiliated with them in any way).

Rules:
    Entry:
    1. You must be a registered user of the eos-magazine-forum with an overall total minimum post count of 10 as at 11 November 2017.

2. Photos must have been taken (dated in EXIF) between 1st January 2017 and 31st December 2017 inclusive and arrive in the organisers inbox (entry details advised below) before midnight on the Friday 5th January 2018 (UK time) – giving you 8 weeks to sort something out. Voting will then commence shortly afterwards (to be announced) and be open for a period of one week – a new thread will provide instructions at that time along with where to view the entries.

3. You must be the photographer who created the image(s) and have all relevant permissions for the picture to be published publicly in order to enter the challenge, and all entries must be visibly anonymous (No water marks or distinguishing features).

4. You must ensure your images are a maximum of 1024 pixels along its widest/longest edge, be in Jpeg format and the file size must not exceed 5 Meg (the EXIF data must be intact so that this can be verified by the organiser)

5. Entries should contain no watermarks, distinguishing effects or borders, and must have been taken using a Canon EOS camera.

6. Images should be sent to the organiser at eos2017showcase@aj1.co.uk and you must indicate in the email (a) your real name, (b) your forum name and (c) a title for each of your photos and (d) which category each of your photos are entered into. Please put “EOS Photos 2017” in the email subject line. It is your responsibility to ensure your pictures meet the minimum requirements and information - Any entries that are not clearly verifiable will not be entered into the challenge without explanation, although, I will try my best like I did in previous years to advise you of any rejections but cannot promise this.

7. The organiser may also enter the challenge (the entries are anonymous and the organiser is trusted to record votes accurately).

8. Up to five entries are permitted for this challenge, but only TWO can be in the same category. If after entering you want to withdraw an entry, or replace it, this is allowed providing it is done before the closing date for entry and you make it clear in an email to the organiser what you want doing - so ensure the email contains clear instructions and (if required) your replacement picture.

9. If you enter, you HAVE TO VOTE - failure to vote during the vote period will result in your entries being disqualified.

10. The organisers decision is final - this competition is being held in good spirit and for fun. The organiser will not entertain or reply to any disputes, arguments or disagreements during or after the competition. Basically, if the organiser no longer finds the competition fun, it will be cancelled :)

11. I will do my best to acknowledge entries as soon as I can, but if you have not received an acknowledgement within 7 days then please drop the organiser (Bhuna) a private message to enquire if your photos have been received. The organiser will try to post regularly in this thread when he believes he is up to date with acknowledging all entries – if at that time you have not received an acknowledgement (check your spam folder) – and then please resend your pictures. I cannot promise this year how quickly I will acknowledge entries - hence allowing longer for entries to be received - please can you all try to send in entries quite a few days before the closing date so that if you then have any doubts, I can check before the closing date/time.

Categories:

• Landscape photography - Landscapes, seascapes and the urban landscape.

• People and portraits - Portraits, travel and street photography.

• Nature photography - Animals, flowers and other living things.

• Sport and action photography - All sports and action.

• Transport - Cars, bikes, ships, boats, planes, etc.

• Macro photography - Close-ups of any subject.

• Black and white only.

• HDR, Colour Popping, Infra Red and any other photographic 'technique'

• OPEN category - Anything else, that does not fall into above categories.

It is your responsibility to ensure your photo falls into the right category - if it doesnt then it may not get voted for.

Entries must be received by midnight (UK time) on Friday 5th January 2018. The organiser will then take a few days organising all photos into categories – and details will then be given about when and how to vote.

Entries must be sent to: eos2017showcase@aj1.co.uk and no other email / file transfer will be considered. If you get an error when sending to this email address it may be because the email box has been filled up quickly with all entries – please try again in a few hours or private message Bhuna advising that you are having problems.

Please copy and paste the email address so that mistakes are not made – the domain address is aj1.co.uk (that is: a for alpha, j for Juliet, and the number one).

Good luck everyone.
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Re: SHOWCASE 2017.....IS HERE

Thanks for volunteering to do this again Andy.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks Peter.
      Andy
      Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
      EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II

Comment

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Just to warn people this week and apologies - I have started this off and received a couple of entries already, but the day after I posted, I've been ill - nothing serious just a virus but really been wiped out and have not eaten properly for 10 days so emails / forum is a low priority at moment. Hoping to get back up and about by the weekend so will go through emails then.
          Andy
          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Hi, hope you get well before Christmas and enjoy it. I was going to enter but when reading the rules I cannot enter because of rule 1 as I have not had any posts yet. I will be watching though, Fred.

Comment

Just over two weeks to go and only got 4 entries in so far.

Reminding you all to get on with it, you have had plenty of notice :D
              Andy
              Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Hoping you get plenty of entries. My camera hasn't been out enough to produce for the showcase... so looking forward to looking at every one else's. [emoji4]

Di.
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

UPDATED: 04/01/2018 - 9.30pm UK time.

OK an update here and a final reminder that the entries close this week.

Apologies for not replying to you all individually, but after volunteering to do this again, things got really busy so here is a list of the forum members that I have received entries from so far:

AlexR!
                  Birdy
                  Colin C
                  David Stallard
                  Farider
                  Housey
                  John Liddle
                  Jonathan Teatime
                  Kemet
                  LesC2009
                  Lunarbo
                  Parsen66
                  ST-EOS
                  tesarver
                  Tony Hawkins
                  wrinklyrocker

If you think you have entered and your name isn't listed above, then please let me know or try emailing again.

Please treat this as acknowledgement that all is ok with your entries (and the change to an entry that was also received from one person).

So far the entry numbers look like this:

B&W 13
                  HDR 4
                  Landscape 14
                  Macro 4
                  Nature 9
                  Open 7
                  People 11
                  Sport 6
                  Transport 6

So there is competition in each category at least.

Hopefully I will get some more entries this week before the closure date of Friday.

Thanks again all,

Andy
                  Last edited by Bhuna; 04-01-2018, 21:32.
                  Andy
                  Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

LAST DAY TODAY FOR ENTRIES EVERYONE.

Thanks,
                    Andy
                    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Working...
                    X