camera update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: camera update

While I think of it Jeff, one thing you will possibly hate on the 80D is the lack of a AF Point joystick
    Jeff has already had an 80D so will be familiar with the lack of joystick.
    Personally, I hate the joystick on those bodies that have, I find it too small and tricky to move things in the direction I want, so never use it, maybe because the first bodies, 70D and 80D, never had one.
    The Sony A9 costs £4,499 at the moment so I suggest it's well out of reach for most people. However, one big advance in mirrorless seems to be the rapid development of the eye level viewfinders, which actually give a lot more information than with a DSLR viewfinder and now work more or less as quickly.
    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

overpriced D500
      It may be more expensive but my boss uses one and the image quality with the 70-200E FL ED VR Lens is jaw dropping.
      I'm tempted myself lol.

Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
        Jeff has already had an 80D so will be familiar with the lack of joystick.
        I'm just trying to be helpful.
        Personally, I hate the joystick on those bodies that have, I find it too small and tricky to move things in the direction I want, so never use it, maybe because the first bodies, 70D and 80D, never had one.
        That's a personal preference. Personally I'd not be comfortable with a body that doesn't have one, which is why both of mine do.
        The Sony A9 costs £4,499 at the moment so I suggest it's well out of reach for most people. However, one big advance in mirrorless seems to be the rapid development of the eye level viewfinders, which actually give a lot more information than with a DSLR viewfinder and now work more or less as quickly.
        First off, I wasn't suggesting the A9 as an option, simply responding to Brian's point about mirrorless selection vs. DSLRs. Secondly, there are a number of users of 1Dx bodies on this forum and the A9 costs somewhat less than that at launch time so it would seem not to be out of the reach of some of us. But as I said, I didn't mention it as an alternative for consideration.

The key benefit of a mirrorless camera, IMHO, is the WYSIWYG exposure assessment. Being able to see what the camera is going to take in terms of exposure makes it much more effective when shooting in difficult conditions. Again, to be clear, that's part of a wider conversation, not a recommendation as it would not suit Jeff's subject matter.
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I have as mentioned , believed for the last few years that Canon are continuously playing catch up to the Nikon bodies . Noise seems to be the biggest hurdle Canon struggle with , I was really disappointed with the noise my 7D produces , even at relatively low iso , the mkll according to reviewers I have faith in , has not fared much better regarding noise , though it improved on the mkl just about everywhere else . I think Jeff , your photos were much better from the 80D , than they were on your replacement for it , I think most of us have dipped our toes into a change over to Nikon , but it`s the cost that puts most of us off . I wonder if Canon has any new bodies on the horizon , maybe worth holding on for a month or two , or maybe for the January sales / offers ? Be interesting to see where you go with your decision .

Comment

Well just been into to Chester to try a hands on with Nikon’s ,also had a play with the lads D750 this morning with lense I would be buying If I change ,200-500 Nikon .start with the last i was not overly impressed with the shots I took and can’t see a mind blowing difference ,the shop visit left me in no doubt that the D7500 would be the one to go for ,but on coming home and doing a side by side comparison there is extremely little in it between the Nikon and the 80D .the only advantage in fact would be in the weight which was one of my quests .but I would also gain a stop of light via the lens but lose 100 mm of reach and I know the 80D takes the 1.4 sigma t.c and works well ,it’s also £150 cheaper .will decide in the next hour or so

Comment

My forecast is,after all this palavar, Jeff will not change brand Canon to brand Nikon on my basic premise that he will not want to lose his "fan club"/mates from the Canon forum!
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

As some of you may know I have both Nikon and Canon gear, albeit not terribly recent, and frankly it makes no difference which make you have. As long as you have good technique and an intimate understanding of how to set your camera up for the situations you will get the results you want.

The fun starts when trying to change from one system to another. Firstly the lens mounts in the opposite direction which can lead to some tricky moments when you aren't used to it. Although I never dropped a lens when I started using Canon after some thirty odd years of Nikon familiarity I had a few close shaves. The lenses also zoom and focus in the opposite direction though I find that less of a problem as I have third party lenses in both mounts. Some of the indicators in the viewfinder are also oriented in the opposite direction (to match the lens controls) which is definitely confusing.

A downside with Nikon is back compatibility. The F mount has been around since the original Nikon F back in the late '50s. Now while it's generally true that theoretically many lenses of that era can be used on modern cameras there's quite a lot that can't and it's quite a complex scenario knowing which can and which can't. On top of that some of the latest lens features (such as AF-P drive and electromagnetic shutters) aren't back compatible with many earlier cameras (some not all that old). By comparison EF/EF-s/EF-m incompatibility is negligible.

Unless you can really, really​, REALLY justify changing systems I can't see any reason not to stick with Canon.
                Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Job done ,I have just ordered a new 80D ,good price from h.dew and it gives me a 3 warranty to ,plus most importantly doesn’t drain the finances which a switch to Nikon would .
                  The learning curve is also zero which obviously helps and also restores peace to the household which has been in uproar since Friday night due to the canon v. Nikon conflict of interests

Comment

Grass is always greener and all that, I cannot see the logic in swopping brands and having to take a hit on all your lenses etc, If I ever did that I would probably look at Sony Mirrorless.

Glad it's sorted.. :)
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks for opening the debate on here Jeff...I’ve never switched dSLR brand but did go from canon to Olympus micro 4/3, then Fuji and eventually made it back to canon...and I’ve never regretted coming back. The 80D looks like an excellent choice.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

What it really needs now is for canon to come out with a lens to match that 200-500 f5.6 of Nikon’s ,not everyone who does wildlife wants a L lens or the weight and price tag that goes with it ,it very nearly swayed it for me as it feels right when you pick it up .

Comment

From a personal perspective I am so glad you stayed with Canon. We would all miss your great shots & the fact that you are always willing to help us newbies. Hope you can enjoy the new camera & conInue sharing your photos.

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                            Job done ,I have just ordered a new 80D ,good price from h.dew and it gives me a 3 warranty to ,plus most importantly doesn’t drain the finances which a switch to Nikon would .
                            The learning curve is also zero which obviously helps and also restores peace to the household which has been in uproar since Friday night due to the canon v. Nikon conflict of interests
                            oh bugger....more bird photos
                            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Glad to see you are back with the 80D. I always liked your photos with it and never did see why you changed.
                              Out of interest I looked for full reviews of the Nikon 200 - 500 (have edited and corrected this)and only found one, on Photography Life, a site which is very much Nikon based, though with lots of interesting articles. They compared it with some other lenses including the Sigma Sports and their comparison is that the Sigma is better : "If you are trying to decide between the Sigma 150 - 600 mm Sport and the Nikon 200 - 500 mm VR the Sigma is obviously the way to go". So if you had changed to Nikon and that lens, you might have been disappointed. I somehow doubt if Canon will produce a competitive lens at a sensible price, doesn't seem to be their way.
                              Last edited by Richard W; 15-11-2017, 09:47.
                              EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Welcome back to the fold, Jeff. One of the reasons I got the 80D was from seeing your excellent shots with yours. I must actually make some time to get out and use mine though
                                Chris
                                80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Working...
                                X