camera update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

camera update

as some will know my 1DMK4 decided to terminate itself last week ,on Friday evening I had a phone call from wex to tell me it was a uneconomic repair ,but thankfully it was under there 12 months warranty so today I have received a full refund from them ,good to deal with a decent company .

over the weekend I have puzzled what to do and at one point I had decided on changing to Nikon ,and been doing all the searching etc needed ,the breaking point came this morning when I realised I would be losing to much on the sale of my lens to just gain a inferior product and after a afternoon of u-tubing decided that there affordable bodies didn't match canons quid quo pro .so I have now decided to abandon the search for second hand higher end bodies as to risky and I will be buying a new 80D in the morning .
    having had one before theres no learning curve and the i.q is better imho than the 7d2 which was also a contender .but I might still change my mind to that after sleeping on it ..

there ya go that was the week that was

Re: camera update

Sorry it didn't work out for you.
    Colin

Comment

least you got your money back - I can understand you considering Nikon when it comes to controlling noise and focus points its really a nobrainer, but if you've invested glass like so many have its an expensive swap
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
        least you got your money back - I can understand you considering Nikon when it comes to controlling noise and focus points its really a nobrainer, but if you've invested glass like so many have its an expensive swap
        Hmmm that’s what I thought Ian ,till I delved a lot deeper bar the overpriced D500 the next two models down are the D7200 which is slow by modern standards and there latest offering with there new sensor the D7500 which I was going for ,but in real life testing the 80d outperforms it ,if I had a unlimited budget then it would make sense ,and even with only one main lenses to sell ,i’m Not prepared to take a 50% loss in three years

Comment

The big advantage of the 7500 imho is the lack of an AA filter. From my experience removing that makes quite a difference, though with all that, I just bought my Mrs. an 80D and it’s a good camera no mistake.

Having said that, didn’t you try the 80D at one point and get rid of it for a 1D3?
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Yep I know Andy ,having another rethink again ,will decide in time

Comment

Based on your images taken with the 80D is why I got one and found it to be a very capable camera.

Tom

Comment

Based on your images taken with the 80D is why I got one and found it to be a very capable camera.
                Same for me, I bought mine on Jeff's enthusiasm for the 80D, and the excellent photos he posted, and I'm still very happy with it, as he was at the time I remember
                You can save a fair bit buying grey at the moment, about £150.
                Changing systems is something that really needs a lot of thought, it's easy to think a "better" body will give better results.
                There will also be limitations with the lens, no doubt the big Sport is very good, but especially with a tc it's really pushing the limits and will never be as good as the 500mm F4L (present version about £8,000 )
                EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Quiet a argument in house last night over this the outcome being I will take a trip to Chester today to try out the feel of the Nikon bodies . Then go from there if I don’t like them it ends there if not it’s back to the 80d choice .i’m not Camera less as I have jans 7d and 400 to use while deciding .just don’t want to make the wrong choice

Comment

Changing is a bit like going from MacOS to Windows or vice versa, a bit of a steep learning curve. In reality you have to decide if a change would really be a benefit for the type of work you want to do.

Have tried using Nikon in past but just couldn't get on with the menu structure.

Changing make is something you see pros doing now and then but of course they usually get stuff for free for the endorsement.
                    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Hi Jeff;

Beware the old adage of 'The grass is always greener...' etc.

I had this (changing brands) discussion with a fellow tog, who happens to be a Nikon user, not long ago. In all fairness I should say that, IF I were starting again, it would be a close call between the two major brands, but, like the majority of us, I have so much invested in Canon lenses that a jump to Nikon just is not viable - without winning the lottery anyway!

It doesn't help us when the perception is that Canon is always playing catch-up with Nikon, and there's little doubt that, once again, Nikon have the lead over Canon - body wise - pretty much across the board. Certainly the removal of the anti-aliasing filter appears to be producing stunning results... but... Canon will catch-up; they always do!

However, if I were to make the jump, it would be to the D810 or possibly the newer D850. I had a play with a D810 (with a Nikkor 200-500 f/5.6 lens attached) and the D810 is an awesome piece of kit, while the 200-500 is so light in comparison with comparable products, it's unreal!!! The one down-side for Nikon, to me, like Antoknee, is the menu structure and layout; I find it wholly confusing, cumbersome and overly-complex... but... that's only because we're used to Canon, and it's something we could get used to, so should not in itself be a barrier...

Meanwhile, as an aside, I'm more than happy with my 80D if you're looking at that again. I haven't regretted for one moment upgrading the 70D.

Good luck; whatever you decide to do...
                      Cheers;
                      Lee
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
                      5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
                      17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

agree Lee... a friend has the D850 and WOW is the only thing I can say

although if jumping, I'd probably go mirrorless and the ARII is s tunning bit of kit and with the ARIII just around the corner I think it will put many cameras to shame, but I've spent too much on lenses now to consider it, whist I know you can use converters its just not a good idea
                        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I would go with you're heart on this one...not your head because all dSLRs are more than capable....maybe some are a bit faster, easier or whatever, but if all meet your needs then that's a competition for the manufacturer not the user.

Mirrorless needs more consideration of matching the capabilities with dSLRs....but only in context with your needs.
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

The conversation about menus is an interesting one. Thom Hogan (http://www.bythom.com) usually gives Nikon a kicking over their menu structures, not because they're illogical but because the logic seems to change from camera to camera. So on a D500 an option is here on the menu, on the 7500 it's over there. While in Canon land the menus are generally pretty consistent.

For me though, I've found that aside from formatting the card on my 7D2 I spend so little time in the menus that I generally can't recall where anything is. The quick menu and the physical controls do it all for me. So for me it's a bit of a non-issue to be honest, others mileage may vary of course.

While I think of it Jeff, one thing you will possibly hate on the 80D is the lack of a AF Point joystick. My wife went from the 7D to the 80D and the first thing she said was "How do I move the autofocus point"?
                            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                              Mirrorless needs more consideration of matching the capabilities with dSLRs....but only in context with your needs.
                              I think the last part or your sentence is the key. For action, with the best will in the world the majority of mirrorless cameras aren't there yet. The outlier being the Sony A9 which, by all accounts I've read, is only not the top action camera available due to the lack of long glass. But then mirrorless fans said the same of the X-T1 and X-T2 when they came out and that never worked out to be true. So we'll see.

For the kind of stuff I do with my Fuji and the kind of work Ian does, the lack of blindingly-fast, chewing gum to a blanket AF lock is a bit meh. For Jeff, I'd say it would frustrate him as much as his broken 1D4 did...

Comment

Working...
                              X