Windows 10 Storage Spaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone any experience of using "Storage Spaces" on a Win10 PC?

I was wondering if I could use this to simplify my digital image backup method. Currently I use Free File Synch to back up across both internal and external (USB3) disks. I had previously considered setting up Raid but never got round to doing so.

My current drives are as follows:-

C: Samsung SSD (255GB) with programs only, i.e. no user data.
    D: Samsung SSD (255GB) this has my Lightroom catalog, previews etc on it and a Back up of Win 10.
    E: 1TB Seagate spinning disk (7200rpm) used for User Data storage.
    F: 4TB Toshiba spinning disk (7200rpm) used as my current images and archived images.
    G: 1TB Seagate spinning disk (7200rpm) currently spare.
    I: 2 TB Toshiba spinning disk (7200rpm) currently spare.
    K to R: Seagate 5TB external USB3 drive with five partitions (4 x 1TB and 1 561 GB)

The external partitions on the 5TB external drive are as follows:-

K: has a back up of some data from Drive F.
    O: has a back up of some data from Drive F.
    P: Is currently a spare partition.
    Q: has a back up of some of the data from Drive F.
    R: Is used for Widows Back ups and includes a Windows image back up.

I'm expecting a 5TB SATA drive and had intended to use this as my primary back up drive for the data from drives E and F. To then allow me to use the 5TB external drive as the back up for the new 5TB drive. As I see the current use of the external drive partitions as a bit of a risk. This does mean that I will have to shuffle data around, a job for the dark nights I think.

I would be grateful for any suggestions on how best to simplify the current arrangements to give a more resilient solution.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Re: Windows 10 Storage Spaces

This is me being dumb now, but why are you using partitions for K to R - which seems to only be back up stuff anyway.

Whats your internal network / wifi / LAN like? Can you introduce a network drive for your back ups or 2 - one for data that can be mirrored on the second?

When you say back up of some data from F - spread across 3 drives is this you manually saving stuff across or are you using a back up / image copy program that does it automatically?
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Re: Windows 10 Storage Spaces

Sorry meant to say - my set up is:

Laptop (3 drives)

Drive 1 = C:\ (256gb SSD) - software
      Drive 2 = D:\ (1 TB 5200 RPM) - software / games / LR database / photos I am working on
      Drive 3 = E:\ (2 TB SSHD) - software / games / back up of D photos that I am working on

Home Network
      One wifi router, with 2 network drives plugged into it.

Drive 4 = 3 TB WesternDigital MyCloud
      Drive 5 = 3 TB WesternDigital MyBookLive

Drives 4 and 5 have various folders, which I then map as a drive.

Drive 4
      F:\ - information (all my accounts / finances / scanned on post items / my home filing system basically)
      P:\ - Previews (This is set up for the wife - all good photos / holiday photos etc in JPGs so that she can load on / view on iPad).
      V:\ - Photography (this is ALL my photos, except those I am working on)

Drive5
      Q:\ - Music (iTunes catalog and a host of CDs I converted to mp3 - about 100gig of music) - admittedly I dont back this up as have the CDs and subscribe to Spotify.
      R:\ - Backup (This is a back up of Drive 4 all contents - set to update overnight every night)

With the network drives you dont partition a particular size, they just use what they need until you fill up the 3TB of course on each network drive.

The way I work with my photos is.

Take the pictures.

When downloading from SD card into LR catalog - I put all current photos into a folder on my laptop - named with year and month so will be in folder "2017 \ 11.November" so I always have them with me, but get it to do a back up when downloading to the E drive into E:\ Photography \ Backup.

I then work on the images, or look through them all anyway - dont work on all of them giving them a star rating etc.

When I have finished processing I then move (within Lightroom) the files from the 2017 \ 11.November folder on my laptop drive 2 to the V:\Photography drive equivalent.

Basically my photo catalog is saved in year \ month folders.

2013\ 01.January
      2013\ 02.February
      etc etc to
      2017\11.November

Hopefully you get the idea.

This then frees up space on the Laptop for the next set of photos to process, but I also then move the back up folder on drive 3 to drive 4 V:\ as well after a couple of days (to allow time for drive 5 to back up drive 4).

Drive 4 auto backs up to Drive 5.

I also subscribe to Knowhow cloud, which my laptop is set to back up to overnight - although I need to fix this at moment as not working and this thread has reminded me to look at it.

Hope this is clear - if not just ask.
      Andy
      Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
      EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
      [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
        This is me being dumb now, but why are you using partitions for K to R - which seems to only be back up stuff anyway.

The partition (K-R) is an historic arrangement Andy, which started life with the first two partitions being used as back up locations one for each of the two 1TB drives.
        I intend to reformat the external (K to R) drive to use it as one of two backup drives for “F” the 4TB internal drive. I’ve just changed out one of the 1TB SATA drives to a 5TB drive. This has now had the content of “F” copied to it. To be the first backup location for drive “F”.

Whats your internal network / wifi / LAN like? Can you introduce a network drive for your back ups or 2 - one for data that can be mirrored on the second?

Andy, I had considered a NAS solution but decided against it. Hence my reformat of the external USB3 drive.

When you say back up of some data from F - spread across 3 drives is this you manually saving stuff across or are you using a back up / image copy program that does it automatically?

I have been using Free File Synch to schedule batch backups. But I’m not convinced that it is doing what I thought I’d set it to do. It’s just a feeling at the moment based on one of the partitions having more files within it than exist on the drive that holds the original data. That could be down to me deleting original images and those deletions not being carried across to the backup location.

I hope to automate the backup solution using either Free File Synch, or possibly EaseUS back up.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
        Last edited by ST-EOS; 21-11-2017, 18:26.
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Working...
        X