Who bothers to have their own website ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who bothers to have their own website ?

Who thinks it`s worth the effort , or do you just use Flikr ? Or maybe some other site like 500PX ?

Re: Who bothers to have their own website ?

Flickr for me. My own web site would have substantial additional costs - hosting, security, domain registration, access and a whole host of other stuff that I don't care to be bothered with.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I don't see a point and I make them LOL
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I have its called Flickr, and I let others use it too...

BTW if you downloaded the new gubbins you got with your Photoshop / Lightroom subscription, amongst all of it you do realise there is the stuff to do your own free website on their servers, as part of the webspace you get, I looked at it, but haven't done anything with it.

It's here

Adobe Express helps you create beautiful, professional-looking, and responsive web pages with no programming or design skills necessary.

Ok how many missed that?
        Last edited by TonyT; 22-11-2017, 15:58.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

sounds interesting ,but like the others probably to time consuming at my age

Comment

I looked at it and it appeared to be simple to do.. but as said I haven't got around to it. My concern was If you ever cancel your subscription then the above will dissapear as well as the free cloud space for your photos, so I never bothered uploading any.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I think that your own website is OK if all you want to do is host pictures for your own use but it will be difficult to get any exposure elsewhere. For example, if Tony had just uploaded his Redwing shot to his own website, how would he have got it onto the Autumnwatch website?!
              Chris
              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I have my own site. It doesn't earn me a fortune but tends to pay for itself.
                - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Hawkins View Post
                  I have my own site. It doesn't earn me a fortune but tends to pay for itself.
                  So you do! It's a very nice one, too
                  Chris
                  80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
                    So you do! It's a very nice one, too
                    - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

I think most full time professionals would have their own site. A wedding photographer, for example, would want their own site so that people can see what they can do and how much it would cost. I don't think relying on Flickr etc would be much use on its own, useful extra perhaps. Unfortunately most small web sites are very badly designed in my opinion, look good artistically but rarely have good navigation with well-designed menus. Actually, the same could be said for a lot of large organisation sites.
                      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Yep or they have those gawd awful 1970 style bullets down one side, they make me cringe.

Comment

You could look at a Facebook site if you want to use it for selling. Theres quite a lot on there and to be honest quite a few now search on facebook for photographers for events. Granted you don't have a great deal of power of control over the style of your page but for actual communication with people and getting your name out there it works. For those with out Facebook access you could maintain a smaller site on online which will help keep bandwidth costs down.
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                            I don't see a point and I make them LOL
                            That made me smile.

I've got a website. I made it about a year ago but only actually told anyone about it very recently when I decided to get on with it. I did it on a bit of a whim and also on the cheap. I bought the domain and then paid for a hosted Wordpress site. The design, album, etc. are all free options. I used youtube and google to figure out how to do stuff. If you want to sell stuff it's probably not the best way to go - I've not looked at e commerce yet. If anyone wants to take a gander it's www.waynelsworth.com

Mainly though I use Flickr. I also go on Twitter a bit. If I was trying to make any money I'd also have a dedicated Facebook page as opposed to my normal one. I'm on 500px too but haven't bothered with it in ages.
                            Last edited by Wayne Els; 23-11-2017, 05:43.
                            TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Interesting replies , thanks . I already have a site , but seldom post on it . I do use it to show off work....ok favours I have done for people , other than that , I don`t seem to have the interest enough to keep updating it regularly ,I was just interested to see what most other folk done .

Comment

Working...
                              X