Thank you Peter
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Re: Aldeburgh beach and lifeboat station

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
      Thank you John - cider's a-brewing!
      Lovely

Another year has passed with my local co-operative (friends and I with a glut of apples) not buying the press we've often talked about but I wasn't going to waste my precious apples this year so bought a juicer. The throughput is far too small for cider production but if anyone hasn't tasted fresh extracted apple juice then do so as it's as different as night and day compared to shop bought stuff. I say I'm not making cider but I'm not sure as one bottle has started fermenting. I have put it outside as Mrs. John wouldn't be amused were it to detonate in the kitchen but to taste or not to taste that is the question

Cheers,
      John

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
        Lovely

Another year has passed with my local co-operative (friends and I with a glut of apples) not buying the press we've often talked about but I wasn't going to waste my precious apples this year so bought a juicer. The throughput is far too small for cider production but if anyone hasn't tasted fresh extracted apple juice then do so as it's as different as night and day compared to shop bought stuff. I say I'm not making cider but I'm not sure as one bottle has started fermenting. I have put it outside as Mrs. John wouldn't be amused were it to detonate in the kitchen but to taste or not to taste that is the question

Cheers,
        John

Cheers,
        John
        Natural fermentation can be quite a problem - there can be up to 100,000 natural yeast organisms in every ml of apple juice!

I would be very careful with that bottle - normally one allows the CO2 generated by the yeast to bleed off via a trap, so if the vessel is sealed, considerable pressures can be generated. If I were you I would discard the juice before things go pear-shaped (or should that be apple-shaped?).
        John Liddle

Comment

It was never going to be me who tasted it and if I discard it how can I present it to you next summer

Cheers,
          John

Comment

John Liddle

Comment

Working...
            X