Fat Old Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fat Old Sun

One of my sunset photos was used by the Cary Grace Band for a CD cover last year. Cary was so pleased with the result that she approached me for something to use on the cover of a limited-edition 12" vinyl extended single the band was releasing this year.

The song was to be a rearrangement of David Gilmour's Fat Old Sun (from Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother album) so the photo needed a large sun in the shot preferably with water in the foreground. I didn't have exactly what was wanted so, after checking 'SunCalc', went to a location that I'd used before and expected the sun to set in just the correct position to produce the right image. I took a few and processed in a variety of styles and Cary selected one (not necessarily the one I'd have chosen but it's not my record )

Yesterday the postman delivered my complimentary copy and, despite my reservation above, think it worked well. Cary also went to town with inserts just the way vinyl used to be I've collected vinyl for over forty years and have always appreciated the artwork so it gave me a massive glow of satisfaction to actually play a part in creating one myself

Front:
    IMG_5296 by John Leah, on Flickr

Back:
    IMG_5297 by John Leah, on Flickr

Disc and insert:
    IMG_5295 by John Leah, on Flickr

The observent may notice that the front and back images have the sun in different positions - that's because they were taken seven months apart

Cheers,
    John

Re: Fat Old Sun

WOW many congratulations, just bought a "retro" record player so pulled all my old vinyls out of the bottom of the wardrobe and been re-enjoying looking at the cover artwork. Not something you get from a download.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

Congratulations John well done

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

well done indeed John ,I sold one of my Egyptian sunsets to a Japanese pop group years ago for a c.d cover but never saw the finished product .its always nice to have a "record" of your achievements

Comment

Thanks folks

Cheers,
          John

Comment

Congratulations John well done, looks great
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Awesome! I'm a vinyl fan....nothing better than sitting down looking through the gatefold while the album starts....this is what I shall be doing later tonight.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

Well done John, that looks excellent....its nice to have your artwork associated with another type of art.
                Nothing like a good album cover......I have Atom Heart Mother on CD (once had the vinyl) and the insert in the CD provides only a memory of the real thing on the LP.
                Great work!
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks folks

Yes, album art used to be almost as important as the music but it nearly died out as an artform as some of the Vinyl work reduced to fit into a CD case were horrible Then came downloads...

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

Excellent work John - I can see I shall have to doff my cap next time we meet!

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                    Thanks folks

Yes, album art used to be almost as important as the music but it nearly died out as an artform as some of the Vinyl work reduced to fit into a CD case were horrible Then came downloads...

Cheers,
                    John
                    True, but downloads are at least portable - you can't really traipse across the country carrying your record deck etc (unless you count my uncle Reg, who chased Rommel across the desert armed with the deadly combination of his violin, his wind-up gramaphone and the first disk (only) from a set of 78s of Beethoven's violin concerto)
                    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Fantastic work! Congratulations!
                      Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Great image, John, really fits the title, and it comes with a good acknowledgment on the back; you must be very pleased. And as a life long Pink Floyd fan (so another with Atom Heart Mother on vinyl in my wardrobe), I may be stretching a connection here, but if it were me, having been very influenced through my life by Hipgnosis album covers, I would feel very pleased that there is a strand running from your image, through the song to Storm Thorgerson and his art.
                        I just hope the music lives up to the cover!
                        Canon EOS 7D
                        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks John, Richard and Alex

I love the irony of fighting the Germans armed with a Beethoven record

I never thought I'd ever be mentioned in the same context as Hipgnosis

I know Cary Grace from Kozfest (my annual pilgrimage to a small festival of psychedelic rock). At the festival Saturday nights always end with a two hour themed disco and this year it was Pink Floyd. Two hours of nothing but Pink Floyd in a tent on a hill in the wild depths of Devon. Heaven

Cheers,
                          John

Comment

Well done, and congratulations.
                            Flickr
                            Web Page
                            Instagram
                            Facebook

Comment

Thanks Jonathan