6D Mark II GPS information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6D Mark II GPS information

I am thinking of purchasing the 6D Mark II and wonder whether the GPS information records 'location name' as well as the co-ordinates. Can anyone advise me please?

Re: 6D Mark II GPS information

My GPS on my 1DX records coordinates, height, time, direction and on flickr overlays it on google earth satellite image... I would imagine it is similar.

example look at the link below and

click on the map on the right and you can bring up the location on that, the GPS data is in the EXIF which I also publish on flickr and is included below..

Map ( you can select Satellite image and zoom in )

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

GPS Version ID - 2.3.0.0
    GPS Latitude Ref - North
    GPS Latitude - 52 deg 48' 6.84"
    GPS Longitude Ref - West
    GPS Longitude - 1 deg 27' 26.00"
    GPS Altitude Ref - Above Sea Level
    GPS Altitude - 104.6 m
    GPS Time Stamp - 13:09:37
    GPS Satellites - 12
    GPS Status - Measurement Active
    GPS Measure Mode - 3-Dimensional Measurement
    GPS DOP - 4.3
    GPS Speed - 0
    GPS Track - 0
    GPS Img Direction Ref - Magnetic North
    GPS Img Direction - 131
    GPS Map Datum - WGS-84
    GPS Dest Bearing - 0
    GPS Dest Distance - 0
    GPS Date Stamp - 2017:10:08
    GPS Differential - No Correction
    Last edited by TonyT; 27-11-2017, 17:06.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Location name" - the 6D Mk II will output the GPS co-ordinates pretty much as TonyT has already said, but it doesn't contain a map.

I use Lightroom and that does the lookup from the co-ordinates supplied to a position on a map. I'm guessing most other software will do the same.
      Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

I can't imagine what location name you could expect it to display.

Comment

It's an understandable mistake. Most people call that thing we use to find our way in our car or on our phone a GPS when it's more than that.

As an aside, GPS systems are demonstrations of Einstein's theories of Special (time slows relative to the observer on moving objects) and General Relativity (time passes more slowly the closer you are to a massive object like a planet). All very interesting.
          Last edited by AndyMulhearn; 28-11-2017, 16:46. Reason: Add relativity comment
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Working...
          X