Windsor Castle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windsor Castle

While out in the Great Park getting shots of red kites (using the 100-400 with 1.4x) I couldn't resist getting some shots of Windsor Castle & the Long Walk. Although it was bright & sunny the sun was directly behind me so it made the castle look a bit flat. I've played around with various different post-processing and pretty much settled on this as being as good as I can get without spending a lot more time. Would be interested in any comments, especially on ways to improve the shot (apart from using a lens more suited to the job!) Other attempts are on Flickr, if anyone cares to have a look!

The Long Walk & Windsor Castle by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: Windsor Castle

not easy to get shots like this as you need very good conditions. I do think the color efex one you processed looks better than this. Did you bracket of just use the program ?

I presume the de-haze slider didn't help much

But its still a nice shot
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

A nice shot and there's nothing wrong with using a mega long lens for landscapes as it can flatten the scene giving a good perspective as here.

As for processing it is a little washed out so maybe increase contrast or clarity and maybe more saturation of the oranges and yellows with a grad to lift the sky?

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
        not easy to get shots like this as you need very good conditions. I do think the color efex one you processed looks better than this.
        Which one exactly? There are several

Did you bracket of just use the program ?
        I shot three brackets (+/-1) and have tried merging those and then using the plugins as well as trying them just on the 0EV one ,which actually seemed to yield slightly better results.

I presume the de-haze slider didn't help much
        A bit, but not by much, no.

But its still a nice shot
        Cheers Ian.

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
        As for processing it is a little washed out so maybe increase contrast or clarity and maybe more saturation of the oranges and yellows with a grad to lift the sky?
        Thanks John, will give it a go. I might even consider replacing the sky!
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
          Which one exactly? There are several !
          only saw one LOL

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

There are four processed with Color Efex, another two using HDR Efex and the bog standard HDR merge although between them there are at least two different source shots!
            Chris

Comment

What a beautifully taken image. +

Tom

Comment

Thanks a lot Tom.

Incidentally, I have tried replacing the sky but couldn't get one that worked well enough. I'll just have to have another go the next time I'm there
                Chris

Comment

what process do you use for swapping the sky it something I really struggle with

Comment

I use Affinity Photo and the latest update included a free library of skies in jpeg format!

The issue I had here was two-fold:
                    1. Finding a sky where the lighting matched the shot, i.e. I had the sun right behind me. I couldn't put a sunset behind the castle when the front is bathed in light, for example.

2. I haven't done much sky replacement either so whether this is the right way or not, I don't know.
                    I create a new duplicate layer of the shot and select the sky and delete it. I then create a new layer with the replacement sky and move the sky-less layer over the top of that. Then can then hide/delete the original shot layer at the bottom.

The issue I had was there's no defined boundary along the sky edge in the original shot so it was tricky to get a decent "edge" with the new sky. I expect it could be done with a bit more time (and patience) but as I can easily return in the near future so I didn't persevere for too long.
                    Chris

Comment

I've just downloaded Landscape Pro 2 and will try that later, or when I work out how to use it ....everything is a learning curve !!!

From what I've been reading its better to flip the sky before you start processing the image, not so easy with a HDR image

Its funny when ever these companies show programs that flip skies its always with a clear straight boundary ...anyone can flip that, but some buildings in then try it

Comment

A nice image. My go to starting point is to create a copy and set it to soft light blend, and then reduce the opacity to suit. Might make it pop a little, given the light conditions. Also a curves adjustment could help. Just a thought.
                        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Working...
                        X