EXIF data & focus distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXIF data & focus distance

What causes the focus distance to be (or not to be!) in the EXIF data? Is it a function of the camera, lens, software or what?

Jeff's recent shots of the diving kestrel have it (80D + Sigma 150-600S), Carol's shot of the red kite does as well (7D2 + 100-400ii) but mine don't (80D + 100-400ii).
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: EXIF data & focus distance

It is in the exif data but,at least with mine, the full information, including the approximate focus distance, seems to be only available when viewing the image on flickr. The basic info of shutter speed, aperture, ISO and focal length is automatically shown and if you click on "show exif" just below, the full information is shown including distance.

I have checked the properties on both my raw and jpegs on the computer and only basic info is available under "properties" and similar once opened on photoshop and choosing file properties

Why the difference I dont know

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

I've often wondered the same thing. Mine doesn't appear either in Lightroom or Flickr but I have sometimes noticed, others with the same camera and lens, do have the distance shown

John

Comment

Some cameras don't put distance in - my Fuji doesn't but 7D2 does - but both of the cameras you mention clearly do so it may well be that the different tools used to process the shots strip some of the data from the EXIF in the final JPEG? Odd thing to do though...

If you want to see what's in your exif data then this IMHO is the best tool for it, assuming you're used to using a command line, https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

On a Mac it allows you to do three things - look at the EXIF data, lets you use that data to modify file characteristics, e.g. set the file creation date to the date from the EXIF, or modify EXIF to do stuff like add keywords, which are then read by Flickr when uploaded.
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Thanks Andy. That tool does show two values for Focus Distance Upper and Focus Distance Lower, which appear to have some approximation to what I might expect from the shots I checked. I'm still none the wiser as to why Flickr shows it for some people's shots and not others, though!
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Yes, I think Flickr shows an average of the two. What do you post-process using?
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Just DPP4 usually, or Affinity Photo if I'm doing anything a bit more involved.
              Chris

Comment

Interesting, I would have thought DPP4 would have retained EXIF data like that. I know Lightroom etc. does as that's what I use...

Comment

Well, quite...!
                  Chris

Comment

If you are using Windows, right click on the image, select properties and the details tab. Some data will be shown, distance normally one.

While back did have a freeware viewer published by opanda IIRC.
                    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Working...
                    X