A new (for me...) way of displaying photographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new (for me...) way of displaying photographs

NB: turn down the volume if you are looking at this at work!!! I had a go at creating an iMovie uploaded to YouTube to display some photographs from cities around the world. What do you think:

Richard
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Re: A new (for me...) way of displaying photographs

I seen this before and TBH I really don't like it as you loose so much from the photo not being able to see it large and having to pause it at the right time to get all the image
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
      I seen this before and TBH I really don't like it as you loose so much from the photo not being able to see it large and having to pause it at the right time to get all the image
      The idea is not so much individual display - you still cannot beat a stinking great print in my mind. The purpose is to illustrate a range of images and try and grab someone's attention so that they will go and look at one or two that they like. Of course, I may well have totally failed! Back to the drawing board!

Comment

personally I do think there are better ways to display collections of images, sadly we me only offering feedback here I could be completely wrong and it maybe great LOL ....
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Here's my two pence woth.

I used to make something with Christmas images and family parties all the time.

Remove the writing that displays each place, between the images... either have it appear along the bottom of the video or on the first frame. Put all the place names and where to find the original images. People may even stop to watch if they see a place local to them. Take the time that you have from removing the place names and add it to the last seconds of the full display of the image because at the moment it's a little bit like "look heres the full image... there it was gone."
          Vary each transition mode. At the moment you have a number of follow ons of the same effect, even if you only fancy using three effects ( too many and it becomes too busy) alternate of every frame but look twice and three times at the effect as each image will benefit from how it's introduced to the viewer and that transition from one image to another can make it or break it.

I used Nero and windows Dvd maker, on one of them ( can't remember which) you could pick the placement of the zoom in, zoom out start. This also works well with some images if they have a main focal point.

Ps, it's certainly a way of introducing people of the video age and everything should move to the art of capturing light. [emoji4]

Does this help?
          Last edited by DeeGee; 29-11-2017, 20:49.
          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
          Di's Flickr

Comment

Personally I like the way you have put it together. It gives a sense of dynamism and movement that is normally much less well expressed in a set of still pictures. As you say, it is a different way to view the scenes, and in that objective, it works fine for me; I like it, well done.
            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
              Does this help?
              Yes, it certainly does. Back to the drawing board for some work on video technique. I was conscious of overdoing the titles and using the same transitions. Will think again. Also conscious that I wanted it to be as short as possible given the average attention span of video watchers!

Originally posted by Farider View Post
              Personally I like the way you have put it together. It gives a sense of dynamism and movement that is normally much less well expressed in a set of still pictures. As you say, it is a different way to view the scenes, and in that objective, it works fine for me; I like it, well done.
              Thank you Ian - I really appreciate that!

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
                Yes, it certainly does. Back to the drawing board for some work on video technique. I was conscious of overdoing the titles and using the same transitions. Will think again. Also conscious that I wanted it to be as short as possible given the average attention span of video watchers!

Thank you Ian - I really appreciate that!
                You could do a series with 10 to 15 images in each. Agree about the attention span.

If the images where sepia or black and white classic shots I'd suggest a page curl/turn transition but as they are modern and have a feel of movement in them I think the style of transition that you've picked suits them very well , just needs tweaking.

I'll shut up now.
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
                  You could do a series with 10 to 15 images in each.
                  That would be my normal expectation... This was deliberately a 24 hour selection, but I don't need such an artificial construct!

Comment

The problem I saw was the image was there and instantly gone, and you were into the next text, you do not get a chance to savour the image and take it in. it might be better to have the images fade in and out of each other with the text coming in over the image as it starts to appear then fading out as the image forms.... but i don't know if that would be possible, what it needs is more time on the image, it feels rushed as if its trying to get to the end as quick as possible and the viewer is simply a distraction to put up with along the journey. It all just needs to slow down in its progress.
                    Last edited by TonyT; 30-11-2017, 16:37.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks for sharing a different way of displaying, Richard, gave me some thoughts about trying it myself. My thoughts, for what they are worth, are that I liked the addition of music which added a new dynamic to just viewing photos, and I can see how you tried to add dynamism to them all through movement. My suggestion would be, not so much to vary the transitions, but to vary the motion, i.e. occasionally pan or zoom into a specific area rather than always using the same level of centrally positioned zoom (I know you did vary between in and out but the difference between these is small). That said, I have no idea how possible that is.
                      Canon EOS 7D
                      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                        Thanks for sharing a different way of displaying, Richard, gave me some thoughts about trying it myself. My thoughts, for what they are worth, are that I liked the addition of music which added a new dynamic to just viewing photos, and I can see how you tried to add dynamism to them all through movement. My suggestion would be, not so much to vary the transitions, but to vary the motion, i.e. occasionally pan or zoom into a specific area rather than always using the same level of centrally positioned zoom (I know you did vary between in and out but the difference between these is small). That said, I have no idea how possible that is.
                        Thank you Alex. The Ken Burns effect is built in - I haven't yet found a way of controlling it!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                          The problem I saw was the image was there and instantly gone, and you were into the next text, you do not get a chance to savour the image and take it in. it might be better to have the images fade in and out of each other with the text coming in over the image as it starts to appear then fading out as the image forms.... but i don't know if that would be possible, what it needs is more time on the image, it feels rushed as if its trying to get to the end as quick as possible and the viewer is simply a distraction to put up with along the journey. It all just needs to slow down in its progress.
                          Thanks Tony. In summary less haste... Yes, I became obsessed with making sure I wasn't taking too long on each photograph, partly because I don't feel I should take too long of any one individual's time. But I clearly misjudged. The title between every slide is too much, and I was overly forced into the format I had chosen of pretending that each photograph represented an hour in a 24 hour day. Onwards and upwards!

Comment

Well I like it very much because it's different (& also shows my birthplace - Chester!)
                            Love some of the individual 'painterley' effects.

Just one thing (ducks below the parapet) - the spelling of Amsterdam !
                            Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing more.
                              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                              X