Tamron 18-20mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III VC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tamron 18-20mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III VC

Just took delivery of a new lens for the M-Cameras. Tamron is now making a lens the fits on the M-Bodies the combine the 18-55 and the 55-200 into 1 lens. Haven't shot any images yet of the new set, but here how it looks on the camera:

IMG_0575.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

IMG_0576.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

It has gotten 4 & 5 star ratings for the lens at B&H photos and Dustin Abbott also gives it a good review.

Tom

Re: Tamron 18-20mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III VC

Nice looking bit of kit Tom. Really interesting that it’s a Tamron and native mount - the lack of native lenses for the mount is one thing that holds it back imho. Now, if Sigma follows suit with some of their Art lenses I think the M series is going to be really big for Canon and will make Nikon even more daft for being so behind in the mirrorless game.

It’ll be interesting to see what the output looks like once you get some shots...
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing some images [emoji4]

Di.
      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
      Di's Flickr

Comment

Here are some images from the lens taken today:

At 200mm:
        IMG_8560.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

At 154mm:
        IMG_8558.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

At 31mm:
        IMG_8552.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

At 18mm:
        IMG_8554.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Comment

Two from Yesterday:

At 18mm:
          IMG_8489-Edit.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

At 200mm:
          IMG_8517.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Comment

Now I like them. The barbers shop really stands out.

[emoji106]

Di.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Looks good Tom, I like the barber shop.
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

That looks really good ,wish I had the money to go down that path .but you never know

Comment

Update on the Lens. Had the Lens out last evening for some night shots using a tripod. Some were coming out ok, and others had a lot of motion blur. On the lens itself their is no switch for turning off any image stabilization (IS) and the native canon 18-55mm (STM) also had no IS Switch and I never had a issue with the M5 and the Canon lens on a tripod, so I was figuring that the Tamron would behave in the same way. However I found out that I was wrong.

With the Tamron Lens mounted on the M5 and the M5 on a tripod using a 2 sec delay timer I took two 13 sec shots. The 1st with the IS turned on:

IMG_8671.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

And low and behold this is what was happening last evening. So in reading the Tamron as it's VC control that can stabilize the lens up to 4 stops, but no way to turn off the IS when mounted to a tripod. So after scanning the M5 menu on tab 4 of the camera settings is a IS Setting. You have the options, one for Continuous IS and the ofter to IS off. I switched it to IS off and took another image:

IMG_8672.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

No Camera shake. Lesson Learned, have now added that menu selection to may favorites for easy access. So that is how you turn off the VC (IS) on the Tamron via the camera's menu system.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X