Lightroom CC Mobile, Photoshop Express and PhotoShop Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightroom CC Mobile, Photoshop Express and PhotoShop Fix

Earlier this year I gave up on Lightroom because it was way too slow on my MacBook Pro. After trying loads of different products I settled on Bridge/ACR/CS6 with Nik or Luminar as a plugin, tending more to Nik as performance was better.

Then Affinity launched their iPad product complete with raw raw studio so I decided to give it a go so bought a 10.5' iPad Pro, Apple pencil and Affinity and off I went. Then out come Adobe with the new and somewhat controversial Lightroom CC/Lightroom CC Mobile. After 4 days of the trial period I was sold, with one of the biggest benefits being that the mobile version uses their own raw engine rather than the Apple one and hence they support Fuji compressed raw files.

So, the only drawback is that you need to import via Photos which adds an additional step but the combination of iPad Pro, Pencil and Lightroom is a pleasure to use. From my point of view, it handles 90% of what I want to do with a photograph, so much so that I've not processed an image on my MacBook since I got the iPad a month back. Where there is some additional functionality that I could do with I add in PhotoShop Fix which, as the name suggests, allows you to fix minor issues with photos. And then Photoshop Express for perspective adjustment, colour tweaks, B&W conversion and so on.

The only drawback is that what gets passed between these separate apps is a high quality jpeg. So it's fine for flickr posting but if I wanted to do a large print, I would probably revert to Photoshop etc. on my Mac. I tend not to do that kind of thing though.

As an example, this is an old shot taken at Chester Zoo but processed on my iPad - I added the shots on my MacBook and they synched to Adobe an then my iPad where the processing was done. And all of the processing was done on the train to work...

Female sparrow with lunch by Andy Mulhearn, on Flickr

The Aardvarks were getting their snack of mealworms but the sparrows were quicker off the mark. This cheeky devil was on a branch about six feet away so is a small crop.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Re: Lightroom CC Mobile, Photoshop Express and PhotoShop Fix

I tend to work on a tablet now as well Andy. It's just easier for me, but probably not for all and I açcept that.

I have Photoshop express and Snapspeed loaded on mine and I use Rawdroid to view the base image and it flips them straight into the programme I choose.

So far it's coped with what I need to do.

Mind you I have recently been watching YouTube videos to learn to effects for Photoshop on the laptop but the laptop comes out of the bag weekly if that. The tablet lives at the side of the chair.

Di.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

I’m only using my mbp to load files into Lightroom at present, though they may change with time.

These tablets really have come a long way haven’t they
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
        I’m only using my mbp to load files into Lightroom at present, though they may change with time.

These tablets really have come a long way haven’t they [emoji2]
        Wouldn't be with out mine. [emoji4]
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post

These tablets really have come a long way haven’t they
          I don't know, Doctor Mcoy's one could tell you what was wrong with you back in the sixties

I have yet to really try the mobile version as I still have the original too. I did have a play, but as some of the layout is different I sort of slipped back to the earlier version.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
            I don't know, Doctor Mcoy's one could tell you what was wrong with you back in the sixties
            LOL.

I have yet to really try the mobile version as I still have the original too. I did have a play, but as some of the layout is different I sort of slipped back to the earlier version.
            The mobile version is very simple which I find a strength in some respects, you can't spend time doing too much to each shot. What is odd is that CC mobile can add curves while the CC Desktop can't yet. Odd...

Comment

Working...
            X