Christmas Illuminations at Kingston Lacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Illuminations at Kingston Lacy

Rather like Anglesey, Kingston Lacy also transform the gardens at Christmas. A couple of the shots for National Trust publicity on the first day of opening last Friday

Both 30 sec exposures

Stan

Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Christmas Illuminations at Kingston Lacy

Oh I like those Stan. Very ice palace like. The long exposure works well in capturing the colours.

Di.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

Well captured Stan

Tom

Comment

both excellent shots Stan, well done

I would crop the bottom of the first one to loose dark thing ( light) stunning up
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Very nice, Stan.

There's something similar at RHS Wisley which I'm hoping to get to in the next couple of weeks. I've never tried to photograph anything like that before so whether I'll get anything good enough to post here is in the lap of the gods!
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

thanks guys

I would crop the bottom of the first one to loose dark thing ( light) stunning up
            the shot needs the dark area to ground it, so probably a clone would be better

I've never tried to photograph anything like that before so whether I'll get anything good enough to post here is in the lap of the gods!
            worth having a go - obviously a tripod is essential

Stan

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
              worth having a go - obviously a tripod is essential
              Oh, I'm definitely up for giving it a go. I have a pretty cheap & cheerful Velbon tripod that I used to use with a small spotting scope and have used reasonably successfully for my shots of the moon. I plan to look for something a little sturdier in the new year as I'd like to try some more LE stuff but I'll see how I get on first.
              Chris
              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I only have a manfrotto 190 which does the job with a wide angle lens which is not that heavy. I don't bother with mirror lock up but to avoid any movement, I use a remote release and also set the camera shutter to a 2 sec delay.

LIghts are quite bright so there was no problem using auto focus and I was shooting av, around f16 and ISO 400 and depending on the brightness of the lights some negative eve may be required

flickr

Comment

Thanks for the tips, Stan. For shots of the moon I've used Live View, 2 sec timer and my phone as a remote release as well, so I'd probably have started with the same and been not far off your settings but all good info.
                  Chris

Comment

Very nice, Stan, great exposures.

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
                    There's something similar at RHS Wisley which I'm hoping to get to in the next couple of weeks. I've never tried to photograph anything like that before so whether I'll get anything good enough to post here is in the lap of the gods!
                    Chris, I've been to Kew in the past but am planning to go to Wisley this year, probably in the week before Christmas. Slightly worried that because there are no advance tickets on sale I don't know how they will control numbers and it may be heaving. Maybe see you there, fighting for the best tripod position!
                    Canon EOS 7D
                    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

It's likely I'll go the week before Christmas too. I'll probably have to twice - once with the wife to go "ooh" and "aah" at the pretty lights and once with camera & tripod
                      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                        Chris, I've been to Kew in the past but am planning to go to Wisley this year, probably in the week before Christmas. Slightly worried that because there are no advance tickets on sale I don't know how they will control numbers and it may be heaving.
                        That's strange as I've been on the website earlier today and it said sold out!!!

UPDATE: Many apologies, it's Wakehurst not Wisley, that's sold out

John
                        Last edited by Swanny48; 06-12-2017, 21:28. Reason: UPDATE

Comment

Working...
                        X