Challenge 137: 'It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Challenge 137: 'It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...'

Thank you all for your submissions, all twelve met the brief and made an interesting set of Christmas themed images. The opinions expressed are entirely personal but I hope with some helpful comments, and all made in the best spirit of Christmas!

“Christmas in a Box” – iLeavy. This was a great post to start the challenge off. I like the idea and overall image with the shallow depth of field working well, just felt the central bauble needed to be sharper.

“The Grinch”- tesarver. Great opportunist street shot Tom, something I was hoping to see in the challenge. I think this is one where working your magic on the background to colour pop the Grinch would have lifted it to another level.

“That Giddy Feeling” – DeeGee. This is a lovely shot Di and one I have returned to several times. A very interesting piece of jewellery and I like the composition. The title sums the image up well as it is somewhat unnerving!

“Christmas Lights in St Albans” – rcarca. Another well processed scene Richard lifting the humble photograph to an artist sketch. I like the fact there is still some definition in the people.

“A Wee Dram for Christmas” – Daisy M. This one made me smile David, great idea and well executed. Not sure of the thought behind changing the whiskey to purple for the bottle but it certainly adds some extra colour.

“Dunnock in the snow” – Carol. This is a lovely clean, sharp image Carol with great detail. I like the composition and pose you caught with the water droplets on the beak. I see the Dunnock is ringed so guess it was taken in a nature reserve.

“Rudolph in the Glasshouse at RHS Wisley” – AlexR!. Nice image of what looks to be an interesting winter display. The subdued lighting adds some drama but I felt the shadows were a little too dark.

“Cake” – John Liddle. A really nice image John, I particularly like the lighting and everything being in focus. A scene to be found on many a Christmas cake I expect, but well done to Mrs Liddle for a fine example. I expect it was equally nice in the eating!

“Lights and decorations from our Christmas tree” – Farider. A well chosen image Ian with loads of Christmas colour. Probably would have been helped with a stronger main focus as it is a little ‘busy’ IMHO.

“Santa Cruise” – ctrollen. A well spotted image Chris. Love the contrast of colours, clarity and reflection. Shame the two in charge were not showing a little more Christmas spirit!

“The Christmas Spirit: Gin-Filled Tree Baubles” – ColytonJohn. A really colourful image John, well taken. I like the focus being on the lights reflecting on the bauble. I would be worried about the baubles falling of the tree, although after my daughters had visited they would be much lighter!

“The Magic Photographers' Bauble” – brianvickers. A very interesting take on a Christmas selfie Brian! Well executed and processed to leave the main point of focus black & white.

Well it is quite a challenge to pick three favourites from such a diverse set of images, but after careful deliberation my favourite three images are:

3rd place – “A Wee Dram for Christmas” – Daisy M
    2nd place – “The Magic Photographers' Bauble” – brianvickers
    1st place – “Cake” – John Liddle

So over to you John for the first challenge of 2018!
    Andrew

Comment

Well done everyone, some delightful Christmas shots.
      Colin

Comment

Thanks Andrew for setting a nice seasonal subject and well done to all entrants especially John who is the well deserved winner

Cheers,
        John

Comment

Congratulations to John,Brian and Dave for their excellent images.
          That cake looked too good to be cut!

And a big round of applause for Andrew for setting and judging the challenge.
          Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Congratulations John, looking forward to your challenge!
            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thanks Andrew, great challenge & appreciate the comments on all of the photos.

Well done, John for the deserved winning entry. Can't wait for the next one to give me another excuse for trying something a bit different from my usual fare
              Chris
              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

It was great fun taking part, thanks for the contest, Andrew. Congratulations to the winners.

P.S. The dunnock was a visitor to my neighbour's garden. :)
                Regards,

Carol

Canon 5D mk ii, iii and 7D mk 2, 100-400mm L IS II, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon L 100mm macro, Canon L 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f1.8,

Comment

Congratulations to John, Brian & Dave for their well done images

Tom

Comment

Well! I wasn't expecting that!

Thanks to Andrew for setting and judging the challenge (and of course to Mrs L. for providing the winning subject matter) and well done to all entrants, especially Brian & Dave.

I shall have to go and splash about in the barrel and find my thinking head (for those who remember Worzel Gummidge) - will post soon with the next challenge.
                    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Like John, I wasn’t expecting that, big thank you to Andrew for setting the challenge. Well done John & Brian looking forward to whatever John sets.

Comment

Thanks for the Challenge, Andrew, and your thoughts on each. Special festive congratulations to John, Brian and Dave for getting their 2018s off to a winning start.
                        Canon EOS 7D
                        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Well done John!
                          ...and thanks Andrew...I'm very please to get a second for this.
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Congratulations to the winners! Good fun!
                            Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Yes, great photos all! Thanks to the organiser and congrats to the winner!
                              www.flickr.com/photos/ileafy/
                              www.instagram.com/leafydragonphotography/

Comment

Congrats and Well done to all who entered.

I've seen the post for the next challenge and will keep my eyes open for what I can catch.

Di.
                                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                                Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X