A Windy Sunset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Windy Sunset

Just deleting some old shots and came across this one from several years ago. Taken at a very windy Cape Cornwall, luckily for me, the wind was offshore.

John

Re: A Windy Sunset

excellent work - good job you hadn't deleted it :)
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

That is definitely a keeper.
      Colin

Comment

Lovely image. If you don't mind me suggesting, I wonder if it wouldn't benefit from a little dodging and burning? Perhaps a light vignette, and a subtle boost to colour. I know that sounds like a lot of criticism. It isn't supposed to! I really like the shot. I think you could take it to super extraordinary with a few comparatively light touches...

Best

Richard
        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Thanks for comments guys.
          Originally posted by rcarca View Post
          If you don't mind me suggesting, I wonder if it wouldn't benefit from a little dodging and burning? Perhaps a light vignette, and a subtle boost to colour. I know that sounds like a lot of criticism. It isn't supposed to!
          No problem at all Richard, after all that's the purpose of forums like this isn't it. I'll have a go at your suggestions, although the original was a lot darker to start, so there may not be much detail in the dark areas.

John

Comment

I like it as it is That's not to say some improvements can't be made, just that I'm not sure of them!
            Chris
            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Really nice and a good example of why you shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to delete images
              I do agree with Richard re dodging and burning but suspect there may be noise in the dark areas that you'd want to leave there. A touch of light on some of the waves may add a nice bit of zing to it and a vignette divert attention away from the nicely coloured but relatively dull sky. But, as I say, really nice as it is.

Cheers,
              John

Comment

[emoji106]

Di.
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks Chris, John and Di.

Following Richard's suggestion, I've made some adjustment but think I've probably gone a bit too far with the sliders.

John

Last edited by Swanny48; 13-12-2017, 12:24.

Comment

John, much better IMHO, but I’ve only seen it on my phone. Will look again when I get home!

Comment

Yes much better with texture extracted from the foreground rocks and some nice green in the waves. I still think a bit of vignette, especially to darken the top corners and bring the eye down to the real action, would work but you've still improved an already nice image

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

I agree with John - I would be tempted to push the vignette, do a bit more dodging and burning and maybe even make the colours pop a bit more:

rca mash up.jpg by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

I will take this down later today when you have seen it - I have almost certainly taken it further than you would like. I think sharpening the rocks adds to the overall feel as well.

John - PM me when you have seen this and I will take it down then.
                        Last edited by rcarca; 13-12-2017, 18:52.

Comment

Thanks Richard. Initially I wasn't too keen on the edit, finding it a bit too bright and saturated but having looked at it several times, have changed my mind and agree it is an improvement.
                          I'm happy for your edit to stay just in case any one else wanted to see it but if you prefer to remove it, that's fine

John

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny48 View Post
                            Thanks Richard. Initially I wasn't too keen on the edit, finding it a bit too bright and saturated but having looked at it several times, have changed my mind and agree it is an improvement.
                            I'm happy for your edit to stay just in case any one else wanted to see it but if you prefer to remove it, that's fine

John
                            I know I pushed it further than you might like, but I was working with a very low-res photo... And in retrospect the vignette and colour are probably OTT! But I wanted to show how much further it could go... If you are happy with it, I will leave it for others to comment. Feel free to ask me to remove it anytime. I have taken it off my computer... I think it is an absolutely awesome photograph that deserves the attention that make it suitable for a big acrylic print on the wall!

R

Comment

Didn't expect you to come back so quickly and have just pm'd you. Thanks

John

Comment

Working...
                              X