Kingfisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kingfisher

Finally, after 18 months of membership here, I can post a couple of shots of a Kingfisher! Out & about today, looking for nothing in particular, I managed to stumble upon a place where he seems to like to fish, so somewhere I can return to.

Kingfisher by Chris Trollen, on Flickr

Kingfisher by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: Kingfisher

CONGRATULATIONS! Two nice shots
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Very well done Chris. Most people never see one, let alone take a very fine picture of one.

I believe he is actually a she and if this is an area she generally fishes from, you may consider fitting a more suitable perch into the river, or river bank.

Once again, congratulations.
      Colin

Comment

Well done Chris, you must keep going back and as Colin says stick some long twigs/branches into the bank overhanging the water if you can

Paul

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Originally posted by colin C View Post
          I believe he is actually a she and if this is an area she generally fishes from, you may consider fitting a more suitable perch into the river, or river bank.
          I looked at the beak, looked again and couldn't decide whether there was enough colour on the lower half to warrant a "she" but I will bow to your better judgement. She seemed to like the far side of the canal and I'm not sure I can get over there to plant some better perches. And anyway, she seemed to really like these railings and kept coming back to them.
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

the first is excellent and the "perch" a bit different

The background to the second is a bit busy and the broken perch is not ideal but for first shots and that close I would be pleased

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

I recall that my first Kingfisher shot was taken with a 500mm F4L, with a coupled 2x extender and a 1.4x extender. The Kingfisher was the other side of a lake and even with all that hardware, the final shot was still an orange pinprick in the middle of the shot.
              Colin

Comment

Thanks Stan. I did tone down the background a bit for the second one but I agree that in an ideal world it would be less busy. When I first saw him/her well enough to get some shots he/she was in a tree so that second one is an improvement
                Chris

Comment

Well done ,if you can get to the other side some bark wrapped / tied around that rail will do

Comment

Thanks Jeff. I think I can probably get to the other side of the canal (whilst keeping a sharp lookout for any oncoming London Waterloo to Alton service!) but there's no real access and getting to where the railing is will be a tad tricky. I'll revisit the spot as soon as I can and check a few things out. Today was a bonus, really. I was about to turn back having seen very little, when I saw a flash of blue and decided to hang around for a while!
                    Chris

Comment

Never had the chance to photograph one so I'd be tickled pink. Probably the lack of people being able to get near is the reason they are about. If you can't do anything about the perch then you have to cope with what you have. What about finding a branch taking some photos and over laying it in the image?

Photoshop lesson any one?

Di.
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

Bizarrely this was on the canal tow-path, but right by a railway station & car park!
                        Chris

Comment

Well found and spotted, Chris. Looks like you've found a great spot to return to throughout the year. 2018 is going to be a good kingfisher year for you!
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Well done and some excellent shots, as said add some branches to vary her perch, so glad another of us can add a Kingfisher to their portfolio. A lovely couple of shots. The location sounds great, she obviously is used to footfall so you should be ok and she will not be disturbed, the car parking is another bonus.
                            Last edited by TonyT; 12-12-2017, 00:29.
                            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks for looking, Alex & Tony. I'll have to see if there's anything I can do to persuade her to perch somewhere more natural but she seemed to love the railing! There are plenty of other branches around that she also used but unfortunately, they were a fair bit further away and made for a more messy shot that I had to crop more tightly. I do have one that might work with a bit of cloning out, I'll give it a go...
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X