Flash elp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash elp

When it come to using flash I'm useless and I'm sure failing massively...

I did some photos a couple of weeks ago that were okish and last Friday at the dance ball I run with Marina I was also voted to do the photo's little do they know I don't know one side of the flash from the other

I got to the venue early so I could test the camera. I put the camera into manual mode 1/200 - 5.6 - ISO 200 flash set to TTL and with the flash on normal power assumed that would be OK but the results in a small room were poor. So thought just out of interested turn the camera into the GREEN box LOL and that did a shot at 1/60 - 5.6 ISO 1600. Leaving the flash on auto - BTW not a Canon flash

I knew the camera would be fine at that ISO and the results were good all being pretty near the same - I've posted the image below and YES I'm the hansom guy in the middle kneeling next to my partner - Had tripod

So what am I doing wrong ? or should I just be happy with the result as its OK it just seems odd to be shooting with such a high ISO

untitled-53.jpg
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Re: Flash elp

bump...anyone?

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I'd love to help but I've always hated flash and prefer available light every time, even if it's low light and high ISO. I'll watch with interest for responses though.
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I'm not an expert using flash, I tend to take shots until I get one I'm happy with! You say it's a small room, but it looks a fair size to me, what's the guide number of the flash?
        John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

I'm the same Andy hate flash but when your in a room with little light you have to, I think. I know I could push the ISO up to 6k/10k maybe 15k but I'm sure the colours don't look as strong

Its really not a big room, not sure the size but at a guess I'd say most flashes should / would handle it ....

Guide number ....Specs from flash, although means nothing to me

Di700 Nomenclature & Specfication
          Guide no. (at ISO 100 in m): GN54 (at 200mm zoom head position) GN48 (at 105mm zoom head position)
          Focal length coverage: 24 - 200mm (16mm when using built-in wide panel)

Comment

How far were you all from the camera when the shot was taken?
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

it was taken at 20mm and at a guess 20ft

no comments on the tux yet

Comment

Well I was going to call you a cab cos you said you’re Hansom...

Comment

Ian - if you divide the guide number by the f-stop, that gives you the distance between camera and subject (in metres) that the flash can adequately illuminate when set at 100 ISO. You can then play tunes on the ISO and f-stop combinations that will suit that distance.

Looking at the Di700 spec, the guide number (as with all flash units) reduces when you are using a wide-angle lens - at 35mm the GN is down to 28, so even less at 20mm.

Assuming GN is 28, f5.6 will cover a distance of 5 metres, so at 20mm zoom, less than that - this may be why you were underwhemed by your initial results.
                  Last edited by John Liddle; 11-12-2017, 20:28. Reason: additional info added
                  John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

OK thanks John that explains something I was confused about. It still seems pushing the camera to 1600iso which in the good old days would be classed as very high, even with a flash unit thats not a small flash ...basically it sounds like the flash just isn't powerful enough

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                      ...basically it sounds like the flash just isn't powerful enough
                      This has been my experience also - the light from the flash is so bright you think it will illuminate anything you point it at, but in reality the duration of the flash is so short, not a lot of light hits the subject.

My Metz flash has a GN of 50 and I must confess I continually forget to do the sums to see if it is up to the job I am asking of it, with predictably poor results!
                      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Ian, i’m definitely not an expert on the use of flash but happy to put in my comments anyway.

I think that as you set it to full auto (green square) the camera was behaving correctly, as I believe the iso will be increased as the shutter speed is limited to 1/60. I did a course recently and the comment there was that this mode was considered as too protective. I was advised to use Av or manual.

With regard to the colour, the comment was that AWB and jpeg would be best to use as the camera will do the colour correction across the frame for the flash.

Flash photography is something I intend to do a lot more of now I’ve retired and have a little more time on my hands. It is certainly a complex area and there are different rules if you are working with ambient light.

I do a lot of ballroom dancing so have a good collection of tux’s and gear, nice to see we have a shared interest!

Hope this helps a little.

Ian
                        Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

it really does seem like flash photography is not that straight forward. I was really surprised when the fully auto camera set the ISO so high considering the size of the flash unit and thinking 1/60 5.6 and 100ISO was all that was needed with the flash set at TTL.. would seem not.

Thanks for the feedback guys and it would seem I'm not that thick when it comes to flash and thinking it should light the room up well. I can see in the future I'm going to have to test the room out first letting the make the basic settings then adjust into manual mode...

thankfully I can count the amount of times I've used flash on one hand this year

nice to hear I have another dancer. I'm very lucky my partner is a dancer from Saint Petersburg so we are slowly setting up balls in Spain - our Xmas ball had 32 dancers and in January have a Scottish ball for Burns night and already 20 couples, should be fun

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                            it really does seem like flash photography is not that straight forward.
                            Understatement of the decade This and red eye is why I won’t touch it with a barge pole...

Comment

yeah but needs must, or maybe that should be a partner that says " you are doing the ball photos"

Comment

Working...
                              X