Flash elp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flash elp

Ian for the image that you’ve posted did you have the flash on the hot shoe and the flash head level without any modifier on the flash i.e. level with the lens and without a soft box ?
    For a group that width you’re asking a lot of one flash. The reason I ask about the position of the flash head/ with/without a soft box looking at the surroundings you were in if you didn’t have a soft box to increase the size of the light source (your flash) you could have pointed the flash head at the white ceiling to bounce the light on to the subject.
    A good source of info for you wrt the tricky flash use is:-

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

No it was mounted straight on the camera with nothing on it - I did try pointing towards the ceiling the result was awful.

I'll check that link out - cheers

The thing that threw me off was the camera only wanting 1/60 and 1600 iso .. I've posted another below much closer and the tree was my test shot which set the camera at these settings - taken at 29mm and about 10ft from subject. this is a 20% crop.

Good looking couple if I say so :)

untitled-2.jpg
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

For distance shots have you tried something like a better beamer to throw the light further.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Hi Ian
          You are stuck to available light so 1/60sec at iso1600 would be right,but if you need to throw more light into the background you will have to lower you shutter to 1/30sec at iso1600 or alternatively keep at 1/60sec but up the iso to 3200.

Paul
          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
          Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I am NO expert at all with flash. But my experience is an unmodified flash is always, always very harsh. I would have been tempted (if I had plenty of practice time before) to set up three guns, with some form of modifier to soften the light.I quite accept that isn't going to be practical many times, in which case turning to the little green box is the safe option! When I have used three guns (before they were nicked two plus years ago) I used to use a trigger on the camera, or use the smallest one on the camera. But then I was normally photographing one person or a bunch of flowers. Thirty plus people in one big room is an altogether different proposition...

If you are going to be doing loads of these with onerous photographic duties (which means you can't do this if you have imbibed a few too many!) it would be worth investing in a couple more guns and a remote trigger...
            Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I can't help at all, only to say that in the EOS Magazine email that I've just received, it states that the Jan-Mar 2018 issue includes "a beginner’s guide to flash photography"
              Chris
              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I feel so much better now... Clearly I'm not the only one that finds flash guns never seem to do what I want...
                Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I've just bought Creative Live course on flash work to see if thet will help..

But as I think I will be doing more flash due to my partners FitSteps & Dance classes I'm looking at getting a much bigger unit and going brand for the Canon 600 Flash

But I'm glad to read comments that when it comes to flash I'm not alone in know whats the heck to do LOL
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

My only contribution is the advice from a wedding photographer at a wedding we attended earlier in the year. She always bounces the flash backwards and up, if you follow. Best not to be standing behind her though! She was using a 5D MK III and iV so she must be knowledgable!

The Tux is easier on the eye than the mankini was!
                    Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                      A good source of info for you wrt the tricky flash use is:-

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
                      Peter - thank you for this pointer - I looked on t'interweb and found some really stupid prices for the new version of this book, but eventually managed to get hold of a used copy of the first edition for sensible money, which arrived yesterday. I have not had much chance to read it yet, but what I have looked at so far is sensible and helpful.

The one lesson I have already drawn from my limited perusal of the book is that flash photography does not really live up to its name - it is NOT something you can undertake in a flash - to get good results requires planning, preparation and at least some pre-shots to make sure things are set up correctly. Even outdoor work is more akin to working in a studio than it is to the free- roaming "take the image when you see it" approach one can usually adopt.

Despite my limited exposure (see what I did there?) to it, I would recommend the book.
                      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
                      X