Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon EOS 300 D batteries run out if camera left switched on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon EOS 300 D batteries run out if camera left switched on.

I'm not sure how old my Canon EOS 300 D is but I'm sure that when I used to leave the camera switched on by mistake when I put it back into my bag all I had to was to move the switch back into the off position then onto the live position and the camera worked as though nothing had happened. I now find that the batteries run out if the camera is left switched on.
    Does that mean the camera or the batteries have a fault?

Re: Canon EOS 300 D batteries run out if camera left switched on.

Welcome to the forums Trooper,

when you turn the camera off it does not turn everything off, read this thread it may give you some pointers then come back and reply if you need more, if it has just started then the link may help checking what is causing it.

https://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/s...ry-drain/page2.

Do you know how old the battery is?
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I think that leaving the camera in "Standby" does use a small amount of power - certainly on my Eos M5 and earlier Eos M3 it did, and with the smaller battery packs I would notice that sometimes if I left it on all day the battery would be part discharged. It's also very common for older batteries to lose their capacity and so drain charge faster then new ones. Maybe you have a combination of both factors where the battery isn't holding a charge as well and the camera is nibbling at what charge there is?
      Find me at www.shutterbutton.co.uk

Comment

TonyT
        when you turn the camera off it does not turn everything off, read this thread it may give you some pointers then come back and reply if you need more, if it has just started then the link may help checking what is causing it. Do you know how old the battery is?
        "I’ve not checked what happens when I turn the camera off although I think that it does turn everything off. The two batteries in the box that screws onto the bottom of the camera are as old as the camera but I can’t get at the invoice at the moment. The number on the base of the camera is. 1730517082"

MilesH
        I think that leaving the camera in "Standby" does use a small amount of power - certainly on my Eos M5 and earlier Eos M3 it did, and with the smaller battery packs I would notice that sometimes if I left it on all day the battery would be part discharged. It's also very common for older batteries to lose their capacity and so drain charge faster then new ones. Maybe you have a combination of both factors where the battery isn't holding a charge as well and the camera is nibbling at what charge there is?

"Replacement batteries don’t appear to cost much so I think what I will do is to recharge the existing batteries, then make sure that I switch the camera off and see what happens before I buy a new set."

Comment

Another posssibility if it stands for a while

Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Is it actually closing down or just going dark screen. In the settings on my 500D there's an automatic shut down if nothing is touched for so long. By chance have you altered it and the screen is just going dark rather than the automatic shut down happening?

Di.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
              I'm not sure how old my Canon EOS 300 D is but I'm sure that when I used to leave the camera switched on by mistake when I put it back into my bag all I had to was to move the switch back into the off position then onto the live position and the camera worked as though nothing had happened. I now find that the batteries run out if the camera is left switched on.
              Does that mean the camera or the batteries have a fault?
              The 300D dates back to 2003...

If you leave any camera on long enough the battery will go dead, I have had it happen to me. Even if switched off a battery can go dead if left in the camera long enough - the general recommendation is to remove the batteries if the camera is not going to be used for some time. How long did you leave the camera in the bag?

I doubt there is anything wrong with the camera, I have an even older EOSD30 that still works OK. It's possible though that the battery is showing signs of age. While they are reasonably robust there is a limit as to how many times they can be charged/discharged before the electrolyte is depleted to a point that the battery is no longer capable of holding a full charge for a reasonable period. Li-ion batteries tend to die quite quickly - typically at the end of their life they charge almost instantly in the charger and then discharge almost as quickly in the camera. If your battery is doing anything like this chances are it's shot and needs a replacement. Luckily BP511/511A batteries are still readily available.
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
              X