How do I reduce Halos ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I reduce Halos ?

Processing some of my images , and was using a noise reduction filter which generally works very well , however on some images it produces a distinct line around the main subject , like it has been drawn around in a white pen, I assume this is what we call halos ? I don`t think I have much control over the Noise software , it`s under filters in my Elements software , I just click on it and let it do it`s stuff . Any suggestions ?

Re: How do I reduce Halos ?

Are you sure it's the noise reduction that's causing halos? I've tended to see and read it being associated with sharpening rather than noise reduction.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I would also go with over sharpening ,are your shots from j.peg or raw files ,the former is more susceptible to halos .i would also advise getting a up to date plug in for noise ,there are quiet a few good cheap noise only ones available ,personally I use imageonic de.noise it works very well

Comment

Try downloading neat images and trying the free version, I use it, it cleans up and does auto sharpen without getting them
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
          I would also go with over sharpening ,are your shots from j.peg or raw files ,the former is more susceptible to halos .i would also advise getting a up to date plug in for noise ,there are quiet a few good cheap noise only ones available ,personally I use imageonic de.noise it works very well
          Jeff I am using imageonic already thanks to your help and advice , the Halos were showing before any sharpening , it`s definitely the noise reduction software causing it , only on certain images though , normally where the back ground is bright .

Comment

Do a lot of sinning? ;-)
            Sometimes I drink water. I like to give my liver an occasional surprise!

Comment

Mark you should be able to adjust the settings in the de.noise then .just a case of noting your present settings in cas3 you cock up and then playing around with the sliders

Comment

Thanks Jeff , I am pretty much happy with the results mostly , but may have a play at some point .

Comment

Working...
                X