body and lens choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

body and lens choice

First post but I may benefit from the experience of the collective.

Having retired from racing motorbikes as a hobby I want to take up a new time/money consumer, hence the reason for being here.
    I am not new to photography, I use a 50d at work, always in full manual mode and in sometimes challenging conditions so I know how to use the functions of a camera.

However, I'd like to try my hand at this lark, purely for pleasure, I dont intend to make any money but if i am spending my own cash, I'd like it to be better and more pleasurable to use than my job kit so I'd like to try going full frame.

I'd imagine at first I'd like to do a range of disciplines so motorsport, landscape, portraits and a bit of nature stuff. That being the case, I am expecting the kit to be a compromise but as it is purely for my own pleasure I doubt that would be a problem. Money may be, so I cant see past used equipment at the moment, and I was thinking about a 5dii or a 6di body and a selection of glass.

So firstly, which of those two bodies would be most suitable and what lenses should start me off (obviously the glass will be added to over time).

Many thanks for taking the time to get this far

AS
    Last edited by arch stanton; 21-12-2017, 00:18.

Re: body and lens choice

In my opinion, even though this body was not in your selection, I would go with the 5diii and the canon 24-105mm L as your set up. Why, the 5diii has the 2 card slots and is a slight upgrade over the II model, but since you don't have the II, I would go with the III. The 24-105 I use for landscape, portrait and all around street photography

Tom

Comment

The 5DIII would obviously be a good choice, but will cost quite a lot more than the 5DII or 6D, probably £500 or so for models with similar shutter count and condition.
      I have both the 5DII and 6D and would go for the 6D, mainly because it's a newer model as well as being considerably lighter. Image quality wise, they're essentially the same. Neither is ideal for fast action, with the limited number of a/f points, but they cope pretty well.
      If you are prepared to buy "grey", then suppliers such as HDEW will give you a new 6D for the same price £849 as a decent used one will cost from a dealer.
      The 24 - 105 or 24 - 70 lenses are the obvious first choice and there are plenty around used. For a second lens, the newish (2016) model EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS II USM has good reviews and is presently available with £85 cashback bringing the price down to £337. I doubt if you could get a decent used tele lens for any less, apart from some of the much inferior older models.
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Just out of interest, what's your reasoning behind selecting only full frame bodies? While ultimate image quality is potentially higher, there is a higher cost involved and aps-c may be a more cost effective option...
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I agree with Andy there full frame bodies will also mean more expensive lenses , two of your potential interests ,motorsports and nature require faster shutter speed and focussing speeds which will be possible but limited with a full frame body ,so I would suggest a used 7Dmkii body to start and your then open to choose any lenses that suit your budget and requirements from either canon ,sigma or Tamron .
          E.f fit lenses work on both full frame and crop bodies where as ef.s lenses will not work on full frame bodies it’s a potential minefield unless you know.

And to be blunt things have moved on a lot since the days of the 50D. Another good all round camera is the 80D and can be bought from H.Dew with a 3 year warranty for less than £700
          Last edited by the black fox; 21-12-2017, 08:49.

Comment

Just to follow up on my question, looking at used kit alone, I've priced up three items at mpb.com - the place I buy used kit from on a reasonably regular basis.

A kit of an EOS 7D (old but good value if you keep the ISO below 800), a 15-85mm EF-S (the replacement for the 17-85mm and reportedly a very good lens) and EF 100-400 mk I (a fine lens if you don't mind the trombone zoom and only recently replaced by the mk II).

Total for that would be £1207. Replace the 7D with a 5d ii and the 15-85mm with a 24-105mm adds about £450 to the total. While the ultimate IQ of the 7D may lack compared to the 5D ii you'd find it, or a similar APS-C camera, to be much better suited to sport and nature and for landscape work, low ISO well processed will produce very pleasing images.
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Can I throw in another option, a sort of second hand compromise body, the 1D iv, I tried a few others, but prefer this chunky well made tool in the field.
              Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Thanks for those thoughts all, that will give me something to consider over the next few weeks. I had considered a 7d but would like to jump in straight away to full frame then if I carry on, the lenses will be compatible. I have looked at a 5diii but at the moment they are out my price range. I'd not really looked at any of the 1d derivatives so will check that option out as size of the body isnt a concern for me. I'm not sure how much motorsports I'll be doing as I've dragged the family round various glorified car parks for the last few years so may not be uppermost in my activities. That said, there may be better motorsport cameras out there than the 5d but as I have no experince of them I'm none the wiser and not consciously missing out and I'm sure it was a reasonalb eperformaer when it was first released.

I will have a look at that grey website too, I've bought bikes on grey imports befre and had positive experiences.

Thanks all

Arch

Comment

just out of interest I have a 5Dmk III in mint condition thats only been used for amateur work that I'm selling due to upgrading. I've not looked at how much they are selling for yet but will be a fare used price
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                    just out of interest I have a 5Dmk III in mint condition thats only been used for amateur work that I'm selling due to upgrading. I've not looked at how much they are selling for yet but will be a fare used price
                    i think the current narket price is about £250 and a selection box. Being realistic, the only Mkiii bodies i have seen on the money I want to pay are dead on their feet. I'd stretch to 850 for a new 6d grey import or a tidy mkiii if one was to come available at that price, otherwise i think i'd want to spend a touch less on the body and more on lenses

Comment

Not sure how well suited the 6D will be for action type shots but as for a general use camera the images I've seen on this forum look very good and better than the 5D MKIII at the higher ISO,As for the 5D I've not used the MKII version but had a number of years using the 5D MKIII to cover many different sporting events with great success no problem keeping up with fast action.

Paul
                      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I dont suppose there are any second hand dealers that do interest free or non stupid credit? I'd plump for a 5d mkiii then and stretch the body cost over a couple of years and can open a bit of budget up for lenses and stuff then.

Failing that I think I may go for a 6d as a compromise and see where we go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by arch stanton View Post
                          I dont suppose there are any second hand dealers that do interest free or non stupid credit? I'd plump for a 5d mkiii then and stretch the body cost over a couple of years and can open a bit of budget up for lenses and stuff then.
                          You could apply for a 0% credit card, either for the purchase itself or to transfer all or part of an existing balance. You can easily pay it off if/when funds become available and then cut it up!
                          Chris
                          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
                            You could apply for a 0% credit card, either for the purchase itself or to transfer all or part of an existing balance. You can easily pay it off if/when funds become available and then cut it up!
                            true, nectar are offering me one where if i spend £3k i think in the first three months I get £100 back... thats double cheap.

Comment

Don’t forget they tend to hit you with a percentage of the balance transfer as a one off charge. But even then, up to 3% is way lower than any loan at present.

Comment

Working...
                              X