body and lens choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: body and lens choice

WEX have certain Canon bodies & lenses on interest free credit: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/offers...-free-finance/
    Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

I was wondering what you are planning to spend on lenses. I can't see the point in taking on credit to buy a more expensive body unless you can afford the lenses to go with it. Little point if you have to wait to pay off the credit before you can get the lenses. With full frame, decent lenses to match the body are always going to be considerably more expensive than for APS-C. I'd expect to pay more for lenses than the body to keep a sensible balance between the two.
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

arch if you have a PayPal account ,they do 2 years interest free credit ,you could then buy used from WEX who also give a years warranty on s/h items

Comment

The credit/payment isnt really an issue, once I have sold all my bike kit I could pay in cash but if I can spread it out over a couple of years interest free, I can use the cash for other things now.

Comment

In that case I'd list down the lenses you need first...then decide on the body.
            I would include one fast prime and zooms to cover your range of interest as a suggestion.
            S/H lenses in as new condition are god value....more than half of mine are second hand.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
              In that case I'd list down the lenses you need first...then decide on the body.
              I would include one fast prime and zooms to cover your range of interest as a suggestion.
              S/H lenses in as new condition are god value....more than half of mine are second hand.
              Thanks Brian, I'd not thought of it from that direction. I was planning on a 50mm prime, prob f1.4, what zoom range(s) would be appropriate?

Comment

As for a set of lenses the 50mm f1.8 and f 1.4 are very good and excellent value. This gives you an option to achieve a very narrow depth of field when needed creatively. For landscape the 17-40F4L I find is excellent though many opt for the 16-35. A 100-400 is great option for motorsport, and for portraiture the 85 f1.8 is very good. As a general standard zoom the 24-105 is superb.
                this is generally my core set-up.

Another option is to go for the 24-70 and 70-200 zooms.....this covers almost every need but might not provide the reach for sports. the 24-70 and 100-400 would be good - and the gap between 70 and 100 is easily overcome in practical situations.....these two with a 50 might be a good choice.

Hope that helps.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Brian, thats fantastic info, really appreciated. I'm in no rush so will price up the various permutations and see what is left that I can spend without attracting too much attention at home (although after many years of spending daft money on race tyres this WILL be a cheaper hobby and less likely to smash my bones up in doing it).

Thanks all

Comment

I use a 24-105 and a 100-400 and carry 1.4 and 2 times convertors, with my 1Div body I can even use the 100-400 with the 2x convertor and reach 800 in live mode with a rather slow, but full auto focus.
                    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
                      I use a 24-105 and a 100-400 and carry 1.4 and 2 times convertors, with my 1Div body I can even use the 100-400 with the 2x convertor and reach 800 in live mode with a rather slow, but full auto focus.
                      thats something I don't understand. I have the 100-400 and a 2x converter also and was wondering if my 5D would offer live very auto focus ? but why is it this will only work in Live view not normal ??
                      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

At the long end your f5.6 400mm becomes a f11 with the x2 which is way beyond what most cameras are able to AF with - most stop at f5.6 and the newer models at f8. I believe it's a physical limitation although many Canon cameras that are supposed not to AF below f5.6 will happily, though perhaps slightly slower than normal, AF with lenses like the 150-600mm models that are all f6.3 at the long end...

No idea why it works OK with Live View though...
                        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Working...
                        X