Hornby Lighthouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hornby Lighthouse

One from earlier this year whilst taking a Sydney Ferry to visit "Rellies" in Manly, I was quite pleased how this turned out given the weather conditions and shooting from the deck of the ferry. Processed this afternoon with potentially more to follow, as I had overlooked most of the images taken during the time we spent in Sydney.

FIO: the lighthouse was built in 1858 after a couple of shipwrecks, the land the lighthouse is on is the "South Heads". The open water to the left (generally referred to as Sydney Heads) is the entrance to Sydney Harbour from the Pacific Ocean.

As always your thoughts and comments are welcome.
    #1 the original image as first posted.

#2 A reworked image following the suggestions received about the first posted image. Hopefully the sky isn't overcooked.

#3 A variation on #2 above with some noise reduction for the sky.

Last edited by ST-EOS; 30-12-2017, 14:34.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Re: Hornby Lighthouse

nice work Peter and well done for holding onto the camera !!!. I do think the building on far right isn't really doing much for the shot so would crop to loose it, also maybe with a grad filter pull a bit more from the stormy clouds ?
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Nice image Peter

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
        nice work Peter and well done for holding onto the camera !!!. I do think the building on far right isn't really doing much for the shot so would crop to loose it, also maybe with a grad filter pull a bit more from the stormy clouds ?
        Thanks Ian I think your crop and edit suggestions are worth a go

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
        Nice image Peter

Tom
        Cheers Tom
        Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

I do like the image but I think Ian's right, to me there is a tad too much on the right, I would have preferred the shot with more sea to see beyond the cliff edge, still nice though

Paul

Comment

Nice but I can only echo comments left by others: crop the right to place the lighthouse on a third and lift some structure out of the sky.

Cheers,
            John

Comment

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
              I do like the image but I think Ian's right, to me there is a tad too much on the right, I would have preferred the shot with more sea to see beyond the cliff edge, still nice though
              Paul
              Thanks Paul, unfortunately I don't have any more on the left the original image was cropped at 16x9 so the width you see is all I had.

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
              Nice but I can only echo comments left by others: crop the right to place the lighthouse on a third and lift some structure out of the sky
              Cheers,
              John
              Thanks for stopping by and commenting John I shall add a reworked image to the first post in the thread.
              Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

As a composition I think that works much better as the building on the right no longer draws the eye so the viewer concentrates on the cliff and lighthouse. I also like the structure you've managed to bring out of the sky but it's a pity it's now so noisy although I'm sure that can be overcome. Overall then it's good work

Cheers,
                John

Comment

that works a lot better well done
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Agree with others that the edit is a better image
                    Chris
                    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                      As a composition I think that works much better as the building on the right no longer draws the eye so the viewer concentrates on the cliff and lighthouse. I also like the structure you've managed to bring out of the sky but it's a pity it's now so noisy although I'm sure that can be overcome. Overall then it's good work
                      Cheers,
                      John
                      Just for you John, I've added a third version to reduce the noise in the sky.

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                      that works a lot better well done
                      Thanks Ian

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
                      Agree with others that the edit is a better image
                      Cheers Chris
                      Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Thanks Peter you've made an already good image even better

Cheers,
                        John

Comment

Working...
                        X