X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohh no, don't crop my head out...

You have just got to smile sometimes..

Ohh no by Tony Taylor, on Flickr
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Re: Ohh no, don't crop my head out...

For a fat tree rat that shouldn't even be in the country, I love the shot.
    Colin

Comment

Cute photo for a tree rat

Tom

Comment

I hate them but love them - nice shot
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Ha, well funny, I like that

Paul

Comment

Nice detail and pose.

I really do not understand the animosity towards the grey squirrel, yes they are not indigenous but humans brought them here.
            They are only doing what nature intends, to survive and breed.
            Rant over.
            Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

Comment

Nice. A very diffferent look
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

They are only doing what nature intends, to survive and breed.
                They were introduced in the 1870's and later from America, as an interesting novelty for many privately owned menageries and to roam free on some estates. Inevitably, when menageries were no longer fashionable, many of the non dangerous species were released, or escaped into the wild. Grey squirrels are larger, more aggressive, out breed and out forage our native Reds. Also, they carry an aggressive form of squirrel pox, which they are immune to, but our native reds have little or no defence. It has taken less than 150 years to decimate our native red squirrels, to the extent that they only survive in small numbers in some isolated parts of the UK. Mink and signal crayfish are having a similar effect, albeit more slowly and quietly. Similarly, the deliberate introduction of Rabbits and Cane Toads in Australia and Asian Carp and Pythons in America have led to similar devastation to native wildlife.

Nature has developed a balance over millions of years within each ecosystem and the wanton introduction of new species into an existing habitat on whimsey, or for profit, is at the very least foolish and at worst devastating. Possibly worse is that various official efforts to exercise control are thwarted by well meaning individuals, based on cuteness of Squirrels, Rabbits and Mink. If these introductions looked like evil rabid Rats, or large hairy eight eyed Spiders, I suspect the public would consider a more rational argument and support efforts to correct the situation.

My own view, which should come as no surprise by now, is that species should not be transported to a non indigenous environment. There will generally be unintended consequences ranging from non survival, to total devastation. However, I am not against the re-introduction of species that were made extinct owing to the actions of man, but it should be done by professionals and a science based introduction and monitoring program and definitely not by well meaning individuals.

I wish the Beaver project in Devon the very best of luck, I think free roaming Wolves in Scotland may be problematical, but I am wholly against Sabre tooth Tigers in Wales .......... those things are just scary and look what happened in Jurassic Park!
                Colin

Comment

Agree with all Colin says, up here we hate Greys. Beavers are everywhere in the Tay system & though Salmon fishers are not keen on them, at present not much change in rivers. Through the Wildlife Trust I have arranged a talk in April with a guy who is an expert in the reintroduction of Lynx, that should be fun.

Comment

I have arranged a talk in April with a guy who is an expert in the reintroduction of Lynx
                    That should indeed be fun, I should like to attend that talk.

Lynx today ............... Sabre Tooth's tomorrow!
                    Colin

Comment

Working...
                    X